Strange Gastric Behaviour With A Friend's Grey

My friends grey has been, as she decribes it, making frequent "belching" noises---she says they sound almost "human".

His diet hasn't changed, but he has also suddenly developed a ravenous appetite---so much so that he's been counter-surfing, which he's never done before---and is constantly underfoot whenever she's in the kitchen.

My first thought was kidney problems or diabetes, but he hasn't had any excessive thirst, weight loss or vomiting.

Any ideas as to what might be happening here (or what other questions to ask to get a clearer idea)?

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest Hannah

Thyroid is a good and easy one to check out.

dogs usually get hyperthyroidism (underactive) and cats hyperthyroidism (overactive) but they can both get either.

a sudden and ravenous appetite is usually a symptom of overactive thyroid.

almost overnight (actually about 48 hours) Fluffy went from eating half a sachet of food plus half a scoop of biscuits per day to still being hungry despite eating two sachets of food and three scoops of biscuits plus whatever Linus and Olaf didnt manage to finish before she went scavanging.

hope your friend finds easy to solve answers soon

Sounds like something is bothering his stomach. Some dogs, when their stomach hurts, either look for food or/and drink excessive amounts of water (others don't eat at all)

Since this is new behavior, I'd ask the vet. Has she changed food or has the food company changed the formula? New treats?

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest mleg2001
My friends grey has been, as she decribes it, making frequent "belching" noises---she says they sound almost "human".

His diet hasn't changed, but he has also suddenly developed a ravenous appetite---so much so that he's been counter-surfing, which he's never done before---and is constantly underfoot whenever she's in the kitchen.

My first thought was kidney problems or diabetes, but he hasn't had any excessive thirst, weight loss or vomiting.

Any ideas as to what might be happening here (or what other questions to ask to get a clearer idea)?

I thought of a possible cause I know that can cause increased appetite but was not sure if it would cause gassiness so looked it up first, it appears it can.

Has a recent fecal been done to check for internal parasites? It is a simple inexpeensive check, just drop a recent stool sample off at the vet for analysis, an appointment is not needed for the check.

Guest minzenon

I would wormed him out (with an all wormer that also does tape). He may also need to bile out on some grass, let him eat the grass til he throws up, then see how he is.

Let him bile out first before the tablet.

As the weather has cooled here he may also need some extra fat in his diet, try some lamb flaps.

Edited by minzenon

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I will relay these suggestions back to her, and I'm sure she will be most grateful for all your help.

One question I had re thyriod problems: is there any weight gain/loss associated with thyroid malfunction?

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest Hannah

no idea about dogs but with cats and over active they can loose a lot of weight while still eating you out of house and home.

no idea about dogs but with cats and over active they can loose a lot of weight while still eating you out of house and home.

:nod

Been there, done that!

Guest Greensleeves
One question I had re thyriod problems: is there any weight gain/loss associated with thyroid malfunction?

Yes. Typically with hypothyroid (underactive thyroid, which is what we see most often in greys), they will gain weight. But this is not always the case. Some dogs will actually lose weight (Whistler lost 8lbs in 6 weeks). My vet said something about the body trying to gain weight by drawing resources from the rest of the body.