Wire Hair On Greyound Makes Me Itch

Guest Dragonfly71

Guest Dragonfly71

Hello, everyone. We have our third foster-baby with us this week. His name is Keywest Hillbilly and he came from a race track in Wisconsin. He is a two year old fawn, absolutely adorable. He has some hairs that are a bit more "wirey" than the rest - you can see them almost sparkle in the sunlight. My problem is, everytime I touch him, I get itchy bumps all over my hands/arms from this hairs that last about an hour or so. Is this common? I've never had a problem with my beloved Benson or any of the other fosters we've had. Any advice?

Guest SillyDog

Yeah, I would suspect something on the hair, too. As long as you're not breaking out when you pet other greys, I don't see how you could be allergic to him. Try giving him a bath if you haven't already and see if it still happens. You'll probably also want to wash anything he lies on so he doesn't pick the irritant up again.

When I was a little kid,I used to get blisters under the skin on my hands when I'd run my hands through bird seed. I liked the feel of the seed....but I had to stop because of the itching. It was from the dust from the seed grains.

If that doesn't help....don't know what I'd do.

Oh, and just something else to consider ... Sillydog reminded me of a guinea pig I used to have who brought me out in hives. He had cheyletiella - 'walking dandruff'. I'd used a flea bath for him in case he has that. It's a mite which lives on the skin. You could be reacting to the dander.

Here's a link:

Cheyletiella

Make sure you use a safe insecticide. No organophosphates for greyhounds. ;)

I hope it works!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop