My Girl'sboo Boo Again..

Guest greyhounder

Guest greyhounder

So the wound is the size of a nickel and triangular in shape. It has (had) a small flap of skin at the bottom. I clipped the area and cleaned it well and applied EMT gel. I have been doing water therapy on it and keeping a T-shirt on her.

My question is this:

The "flap" has turned white (:puke). Is this the normal color? I'm assuming yes because it's the color of skin with no blood in but I just want to make sure. :)

Guest meandmygreys

I am assuming that is right...I DO know that when skin dies..it turns black..so I'm guessing it is O.K. with out seeing pictures of it. Is it in a place that can't be stitched or taped ?? :blink:

Guest greyhounder

It's a bite wound.. When it happened to another of my dogs last year, they vet told me they wouldn't close a bite wound because of the bacteria factor.. They told me to keep it clean and keep him from licking it..and charged me an arm and a leg.. so I'm doing all of those things and watching closely for infection.. If it looks suspicious I'll take her in but I don't want to spend $100 for them to tell me to "let it heal on its own" KWIM?

The "flap" has turned white (). Is this the normal color? I'm assuming yes because it's the color of skin with no blood in but I just want to make sure.

No blood supply means usually dead skin, just hasn't turned black yet. Gracie Rose had the same problem a few weeks ago, a three corner skin tear from a dog bite. I trimmed the area cleaned it a couple of times a day with saline , used Polysporin, numbed and trimmed the skin flap. It's all healed and fur is starting to grow over the area. You may have to trim the skin flap as it dies or earlier iif you have some Lidocain gel or something to numb it with.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014