Scraped Paw Pad

Guest MidnightMama

Guest MidnightMama

DH and I took the girls to a fenced in tennis court this afternoon to give them some off-leash time. Runner enjoyed playing fetch for awhile, but then major zoomies broke out. Midnite and Runner only ran for a few minutes before they retired to the shade, and everything seemed fine till we got home and I noticed Runner limping slightly. When I took a closer look, I saw that she has scraped (taken the first layer of skin off of) her front, left pad. I cleaned it off gently, but is there anything else I should do?

Needless to say, I feel terrible and checked all of Runner's other feet over and all of Midnite's feet and there are no other injuries.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Don't feel terrible :grouphug

You might try putting a little bag balm on it, depending on how severe it is. If it's a light scrape, I'd use the bagbalm, if it's more severe, I'd just put a little antibiotic ointment on it.

As long as she leaves it alone, I'd leave it alone as well. If she licks it, stick a baby sock on her ;)

She'll be fine :) We're very used to living in the land of cuts and scrapes here :rolleyes:

Guest Winterwish

Oh this just happened to my grey last week,just one of the pads on a toe.

Black and Brindle is right. I used Bag Balm too,just a thin layer and sort of lightly massaged it in after cleaning it some.

After about maybe 4 -5 nights of doing that,you'd never know it happened. Hope it heals nicely.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest minzenon

For stuff like that I always use Lucas Papaw Ointment. Safe for the dogs plus I get to use it for me as well.

Edited by minzenon

Guest Hokiebuck

If its not bleeding, I just clean it and leave it...but if its bleeding, then I use EMT gel, then put an infant sock over it and secure it with vetwrap. I only use the sock if Cash bothers it or its bleeding. Otherwise the more air that gets to it the quicker it'll heal.