After Big D And V And A Trip To The E-vet

Guest spider9174

Guest spider9174

I'm kind of wondering what i should expect in terms of my greys activity level and urine output. He had a mega bout of the Big D and V and he was at the evet overnight and my vet all yesterday. I think he got a total of 4 bags of fluids, among other treatment. He's on i/d (and wants more food--which i think is what got him in his predicament in the first place). I thought he was developing a UTI becuase when he was urinating he was dribbly and strained somewhat. He's obviously ouchy in his abdomen, probably from the D. So...I insisted on taking him back this morning and having his urine tested, all A-O-K. The vet said just keep an eye on him and if need be I can bring him back today or tomorrow. (Having a chronic colicer of a horse wasn't this hard!)

With all the fluids, how much will he be drinking? He's usually a big drinker and a big eater...in fact, he was still eating even when was doing the V.

So, over the next few days, what should I expect in his behavior, etc. He's pretty tired and laying around. Looks comfy 90% of the time. I've been giving him small ice cubes to help get him to consume some water. He won't drink pedialyte, although I could try just diluting it. He's eating when I put food out and he has been whining at the door to the garage (where we keep the food) telling me he's hungry.

He has done something kind of weird...and i mentioned this to the vet...he wanted to go outside (it's around 80/90 today) and lay in the sun. :blink: He's BLACK! I can't let him go outside and lay in the sun and get overheated and sick. :eek

So...for those of you who have been there...just need a bit of advice...

Depending on how big a dog he is, to maintain weight he'd need @ 4 cans per day of i/d. So he might be hungry but you probably want to feed him a little light for a day or two till you're sure he's processing things OK.

If he had 4 bags of fluid it might be a day or two before he feels the need to drink much, especially if he's just lying around. Our best trick for getting a dog to drink when necessary is to mix a tablespoon of flavored (only natural sugar, no artificials!) yogurt into a cup or two of water. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

My pups like to lie in the sun no matter how hot it is. On a day like today -- 90s -- I let Joseph have 3-4 minutes, then bring him back in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.