Trust Your Pack!

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

For several days, the rest of our dogs kept sniffing Jasmine--*excessively* so. Still on a panicky, "what other medical condition do our guys have that we don't know about" kick from losing Whistler suddenly to cancer 2 weeks ago, we took Jasmine (and a urine sample) to the vet... turns out she has a bladder infection!

She had NO other symptoms--no extra peeing, no licking, no signs of discomfort. Only apparently an odor that the other dogs detected.

She's on antibiotics now and on the mend, and everyone's leaving her alone... but man! I'm glad someone in this house was paying attention!

Stephanie, that happened with my beagle. The neighbor's little dog kept trying to hump her. He was a persistent little bugger. Wouldn't stop. He would lick her down there and everything. Took her to the vet. She had a UTI too.

Wow! Glad you were able to catch it before she was in a lot of pain, good hounds!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest PiagetsMom

We just went through the same thing with Lucy and Piaget. Piaget kept smelling and messing with Lucy's ear - it looked fine to us and she was showing no signs of discomfort, but sure enough, the next week Lucy had a yeast infection in that ear.

Guest KennelMom

Yep :nod I always pay attention when our dogs have more than a passing interest in one of the other dogs. Right now everyone is obsessed with smelling Melody and her foot...she has an injured toe. The pack knows each other, for sure.

Guest Greensleeves
The pack knows each other, for sure.

I actually think this is one of the reasons they're not more unbalanced after losing Whistler. If he had cancer bad enough to kill him, I suspect that they were aware of something long before any of us were (he was otherwise asymptomatic until the end)... and also, they sniffed the daylights out of the clothes we wore to the hospital, so I think they were more "updated" on what was going on than we can really understand.

Guest Tenderhearts

I learned a couple of years ago after someone had told me the same thing about their pack that is exactly what would happen when Lori Ann would get a UTI, lots of extra sniffing from the others, and nothing else for a sign yet..