Dew Claws

Guest Giselle

Guest Giselle

Giselle learned a hard lesson today. Apparently, greyhounds don't swim, and they certainly don't have the agility to exit the water without a couple nicks and bumps =/

I took Gis to a local dog park of which has access to a stream. For some odd reason, she jumped right into the stream and had a heckuva time trying to stay afloat. The exit was even more traumatizing, and she resurfaced with quite a few cuts and scrapes. Then, I found her dew claw very loose and looking slightly disconnected. The flap of skin where the claw connects to the limb has a large puncture. I cleaned her wound, put some Neosporin on it, and wrapped it in sticky gauze to prevent her from completely ripping it off. Now, I'm wondering what else I can do. It's not bothering her, but I was wondering if I should leave it unwrapped for part of the day so as to aerate it (would that help with the healing?). Any advice?

Doc did this running after a squirrel, but ripped the nail right off so just the quick (a little red stump) was left. It didn't bleed for long, so we left it unwrapped and just cleaned it regularly with salt water - Doc also licked at it of course! As it stayed nice and clean I didn't bother to visit the vet or anything, just checked and cleaned it regularly until the nail grew back which took a few weeks. I've also heard of people sealing the quick by painting on Friar's Balsam.

Your situation sounds a little more complicated - the nail is going to need to come off now it is loose, so that a new one can grow. You might need a vet's help with this, unless you and she feel confident about sorting it out for yourselves. Meanwhile I would put a little pad of gauze or similar *under* the claw when you wrap it, so it doesn't jiggle around.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest chigal950

Something very similar happened to us. I knew the nail was going to come off as it was just hanging by a thread. I did wrap it to protect it so that she would not catch on something and tear it off but then she did so anyway. I'd probably keep it wrapped for this reason and if it doesn't fall off in 2-3 days pop in and let the vet finish the job cleanly.