Friends Gh May Have Dementia

I'm posting this for a friend of mine. Her GH Doug has been diagnosed with dementia:

Doug has been tentitively diagnosed with "dementia". He is having trouble remembering when to eat, when to wake up, and sometimes common phrases. Sometimes he goes into a room and seems to forget why he is there and whines and stares into nothing.

Does anyone have any experience with this and the drugs used to treat/help with this? He will be 11 in 2 months.

Anyone here have any experience with this?

Poor Doug is one of those GH's that has one medical issue after another. :( :( :(

He has helped us at M&G's, is a registered therapy dog and had just started his reading therapy work.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest KennelMom

Erin had it (canine cognitive dysfunction is another name). There is a drug your friend can try...my brain is fried right now but if you google canine cognitive dysfunction the drug manufacturer has a site that talks about it. It's actually a human drug for dementia as well. Hugs to your friend and his dog...it's tough to watch them age. Erin always seemed pretty happy in whatever little world she was in. Only towards the very end did she start to get scared or freaked at times.

Guest greytlady

My 20 yr old Collie mix would get confused towards the end and sometimes she seemed like she didn't know me and would try to hobble away. Her confusion would come and go though. My vet didn't recommend any meds.

Well, yes, I have some non-grey experience with canine dementia. Sad. Very sad.

You said tentative diagnosis of dementia -- and that "tentative" is key because it is so very hard to tell. The owner need to be really attentive because the confusion could be sight or hearing loss in geriatic dogs. These will cause similar disorientation, but can be dealt with.

It is VERY hard to work out what exactly is going on, and vets have to respond to owners' reports as to behaviors. I have had a blind and deaf geriatric cocker spaniel without dementia (she coped and so did we), and a dog with dementia that I was late in recognizing. I guess denial has a place.

My adored 19 year old JRT had definitely had dementia in her last year. We put her on anipryl (sp?), but it did not seem to make much difference. And it broke my heart. My one regret is that I should have let her go sooner when the anipryl did not work.

That said, a friend had her 14 year old Border Collie on anipryl, and thought she saw great improvement. Bonnie the BC had 2 years of good quality of life with a dedicated owner on anipryl. So I just don't know.

Gillian

Edited by 2whitegreys

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Thanks everyone, I have forwarded these comments to her.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho