Searching For A New Puppy

Guest beanue

Guest beanue

Hi Floks

My wife and I lost our Binna on November 30, 2006. She shared our life for almost Eleven years, I still miss her and probably always will, but soon by Mid July we will be looking for a new puppy. The reason I don't want to adopt is I believe you loose that close bonding with raising a Puppy. I live in Naples, Florida at least my wife lives in Naples, I will be working in the houston area for the next year. The reason I couldn't get a puppy before then is because I will be relocating from OKC to Houston and we will be out of the country the first week of July. So if any one out there can help us please let me know. Thanks

Larry

beanue@sbcglobal.net :rolleyes:

Guest cailysmummy45

Hi Larry im not sure how long the puppies from the my adoption group will last only because their so dang adorable but go to fasthounds.org and they got 2 new litters of puppies that are about 3 months old they are located in seminole, oklahoma

Guest neworleansmama

I know you didn't ask for advice but I really think you are wrong about missing close bonding if you adopt an adult dog. Remember these dogs were never before a member of a family so they are like puppies emotionally. After 50 years of adopting dogs, some of which were puppies, I've never had a more engaging love-bug than my male Blake. And watching them "join" your family is very much like raising a puppy. That's why my two are so much like all the other dogs I've ever had--they picked up on our family dynamics.

Sorry for giving you what you didn't want--advice.

Guest lizmego
Hi Floks

My wife and I lost our Binna on November 30, 2006. She shared our life for almost Eleven years, I still miss her and probably always will, but soon by Mid July we will be looking for a new puppy. The reason I don't want to adopt is I believe you loose that close bonding with raising a Puppy. I live in Naples, Florida at least my wife lives in Naples, I will be working in the houston area for the next year. The reason I couldn't get a puppy before then is because I will be relocating from OKC to Houston and we will be out of the country the first week of July. So if any one out there can help us please let me know. Thanks

Larry

So will the puppy live in Houston with you or with your wife in Naples? I'm a bit confused by your post.

Guest beanue

In Naples, I will be only working in Houston until I retire next year. Even though we have a dog track and we got binna from a person raising greyhounds in Bonita Springs. We have not been able to locate one. I was only hoping it might be easier to find one in Houston as compared to Naples it is just a little bit larger city than Naples.

I know you didn't ask for advice but I really think you are wrong about missing close bonding if you adopt an adult dog. Remember these dogs were never before a member of a family so they are like puppies emotionally. After 50 years of adopting dogs, some of which were puppies, I've never had a more engaging love-bug than my male Blake. And watching them "join" your family is very much like raising a puppy. That's why my two are so much like all the other dogs I've ever had--they picked up on our family dynamics.

Sorry for giving you what you didn't want--advice.

Guest beanue

Hi, when I try to go to the site fasthounds.org, it doesn't let me in. Right now I am in Oklahoma City, and will be leaving here in late june for houston. I guess I am only about 30 minutes from there. Let me know how to get into the site. Thanks

Hi Floks

Larry

I also believe you can have an amazing bond with a retired greyhound, without the year or 2 of hell you get from a greypuppy. Most treasured by myself is the time when your pupper, straight off the track, is learning about home life. It's very similar to bringing up a puppy, and is the reason I never get a fostered dog, I treasure that experience so much.

If you're determined to get a greyhound puppy, I would strongly suggest you check out all the posts on this site about them. From what I've read, it takes a ton of energy and patience just to get through a day with one of them - they are VERY different dogs when they are under 2years of age. Just search with the term "puppy", that should bring up a whack of them.

Good Luck, whatever you decide, and be sure to post pics once you get your new pupper home, whether he's young or old.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest trevdog

Puppies are a lot of work and commitment, but they are also a joy to raise, most of the time. We've had Dallas since she was 9 weeks old, she's now 15 months. a lot like bringing a baby home, you have to take them out 2 or 3 times at night at first, pottytraining, chewing and biting lessons and they do have boundless energy. Obedience school is a must with them, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and I got that from several farm owners used to the puppy antics. We spend a lot of time with her still, but as a result she is very well adjusted, loves people, adores kids and wants to play with every dog she comes in contact with. I have her in agility classes now, another challenge but a way to tire her and I both out. She is still growing at this age and still has tons of energy. Sometimes when we first got her we came home exhausted but she was ready to go, having slept most of the day, you have to be able to keep up with them no matter how tired you are, she would go nonstop for at least 4 hours at night.

Good Luck and keep looking if you really still want one, they are out there. Occasionally an oops litter comes along, you have to be prepared when they are ready as they don't last long. Being as you are in FL, there are farms around the state, you may find one.

Edited by trevdog

Welcome to GT! It sounds like you had a greyhound puppy before so I guess you know about the 'landshark' personalities!! Try the fasthound.org... otherwise, there are sometimes other 'oops' litters posted on here.. good luck!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest beanue

Hi Folks

No this is will not be the first Greyhound Puppy and yes I know what it takes to raise a greyhound puppy. Every one has a different opinion about bonding. I have a dog track 3 miles from my house and have spoken to that adoption agency and I have decided that I prefer a puppy. I certainly respect your decisions and input and I hope everyone respects mine. Thanks

Beanue

Guest trevdog

Hi again,

Since you have already raised one then, just keep a lookout for one. Does the local adoption agency keep in touch with the kennels at the track? We have had a few litters of oops puppies up here the past few years, or sometimes a kennel owner will have a litter at the farm they weren't expecting or a pup that maybe won't even make it to training for some issue or another. And of course the occassional oops litter is posted here too, that's how Dallas came to be with us. And even the animal shelter here had 2 puppies from a farm last year ....you never know when one may be available.

Edited by trevdog

Guest beanue

Hi Folks

Puppy Update, I found a 10 week old red female from fasthound.org which happened to be only 20 minutes from I park my RV while working in Oklahoma city. I will be picking her up this coming Tuesday evening and then her and I will fly to Florida just before Memorial Day weekend. Jesssica at Fasthound was extremly well versed and very friendly and helpful. If anyone is looking for a greyhound to adopt I would highly recommend Fasthound.org. Thanks Jessica.

Beanue :P

Guest greybookends

Congratulations! We would really like to see pictures of the little shark when you get her!

:confetti :confetti :confetti :confetti :confetti :confetti

Guest beanue

Hi Folks

Thanks for all of the very nice wishes, I have promised Jessica at fasthound.org that I would keep her also updated with pictures and I will post some pictures as soon as I get her to Florida. Although there will never be a replacement for our beloved Binna, I am sure the new one ,now named Jenny, will find her special place in our hearts also. Jenny will have about 3/4 acres fenced and puppy proofed for her to burn up some of that extra energy that puppies have. I booked her flight reservations last evening. We will arrive in florida on the same flight. I will get back with a puppy update later. Thanks again for all of the nice wishes.

Beanue :)

Edited by beanue

Guest DaiyesDad
Hi Folks

Thanks for all of the very nice wishes, I have promised Jessica at fasthound.org that I would keep her also updated with pictures and I will post some pictures as soon as I get her to Florida. Although there will never be a replacement for our beloved Binna, I am sure the new one ,now named Jenny, will find her special place in our hearts also. Jenny will have about 3/4 acres fenced and puppy proofed for her to burn up some of that extra energy that puppies have. I booked her flight reservations last evening. We will arrive in florida on the same flight. I will get back with a puppy update later. Thanks again for all of the nice wishes.

Beanue :)

I'm too late but that's OK. I am part of GPA Central OK and am friends with fasthound. They received 10 puppies that I was going to tell you about. But it looks like you got one anyway! :lol Congrats!

Heath

Your property sounds like grey puppy heaven :lol

It was obviously meant to be, since things have gone so smoothly. I can't wait to hear about her when she gets home!

Congratulations, and best wishes for many years of happiness with your little Jenny!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)