Hey Alberta People

Guest Momiji

Guest Momiji

I took Gir in for his vet visit on Friday and his vet told us not to worry about heartworm or ticks at all. She basically told us that heartworm doesn't happen in Alberta and that we should only think about it if we go to BC. She also told us not to worry about ticks because ticks don't happen in Alberta. I know that there are ticks here but I don't know if we should have some kind of anti tick/anti heartworm for Gir.

I don't know where Gir came from, all I know is that he was a stray and no one claimed him.

Do you guys have heartworm stuff for your greys/lurchers?

Do you guys have tick stuff for them too?

I'm just wondering because I'm not naive enough to believe that ticks and heartworm doesn't happen here.

Thanks

K and Gir

I found this site that lists 2005 numbers, but I don't know that it's complete at all.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest meakah

Was it Dr. Greenbank? She said the same thing to me too. I have taken her advice and do not do any dewormings or tick meds at all...haven't since I got Koda. I hope that is ok. I know it is different in the US and reminded her that the dog was from the US and she said to not treat unless there were symptoms. Maybe call another vet or two to get more opinions?

I have heard that you don't have heartworm in Alberta. We don't have tick issues in Manitoba. If your pup has any TBD's from a previous life, that's a different issue.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest itscath

When my dogs were younger and I was travelling with them to shows and race meets so I opted to try heartworm medication. The heartworm medication made one of my hounds very ill. She was very lethargic for almost 2 weeks after only one dosage. That was the one and only time I gave them heartworm meds.

Although heartworm is not common in Alberta it is not unheard of and does/has occurred in rare instances.

The only ticks I have ever seen in 12 years have been one tick picked it up at a race meet from other dogs brought in from out of province and of course the odd tick that comes on dogs on a direct haul from the US.

I live within the city limits and would also be interested to know if any rural Alberta residents have experienced any tick problems.

Guest meakah

Just to add too...I run Koda down at the Terwilliger offleash park almost daily and it is a huge natural wetland/native grass area....in other words....good tick habitat. I have yet to find one on her but I am a bit leery so I definitely check her over after visits in the summer time.

• 2 months later...
Guest mlle_sarah

I live in Edmonton and with all of the news we have been getting lately about ticks in Alberta, I am wondering if I should pic up some meds for my greyhound, especially since there has been a reported cases of Lyme Disease found in a dog here in Edmonton. We camp a lot in the mountains with our dogs and take them off leash in Mill Creek Ravine and Terwillegar and they like to "off-road" in the trees.

I also go to Dr. Greenbank with my dogs and cat and she said that she recommends Avantix and that it will also work for mosquitoes. I'm not sure about you dog but mine is covered in mosquitoes everytime we are outside and this year they are awful!

I am a little leary about using Avantix with all of the things I have read on this board and due to the fact that I also have a cat. I trust Dr. Greenbank as she is the best vet I have used here in Edmonton so I hesitate to say anything but I am hoping that she can recommend another product.

Any thoughts? Has anyone given their grey one of the flea products?

Guest brandi007

I just took Foxy to the vet and Dr. Tejinder said the same thing...I didn't end up getting him the heartworm/tick stuff but did get him the Giordiraoewuwoggea (sp? XD ) for the icky water in parks thing. Sometimes I take them to Fish Creek and they do drink the water there so better safe than sorry.