Teagan Has A Bump On His Wrist

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

On Tuesday night I noticed that Teagan had a bump on his right wrist. He was not limping, still acting normal in every way, but the bump was noticable and hard to the touch. Of course my first thought was osteo so I started freaking out. :unsure (I haven't had internet access where I'm pet-sitting or else I would have been posting here on GT in a tizzy!)

Pics from Tuesday:

Teaganswollenwrist2.jpgTeaganswollenwristtopview.jpg

I was thinking that Teagan might have what his brother Lucas had back in September 2007. His bump was most likely a calcium deposit (according to the WAG vet) and took several months to resolve.

Lucaslayonbed.jpg

Teagan's bump looked larger to me yesterday so off to the vet we went. Thankfully they were able to fit us in. We did x-rays and the bone looks fine, no osteo, no arthritis. :thumbs-up The bump didn't even show up on the x-ray so if it is a calcium/mineral deposit it is in the early stages. He is not limping and the bump doesn't really feel like fluid, so we did bloodwork too to check his calcium and phosphate levels. The bloodwork came back today and the levels were normal.

Pic from last night:

Teaganwristbump.jpg

The vet's best guess is Teagan hit his wrist on something and there is some swelling in there. She gave us Deramaxx for the next 5 days and I'm to ice the leg if he will let me. Does that sound right?

I specifically asked about restricting his activity because he loves to run around the yard with Honey, and we have an LGRA race on Saturday. She said to let him do what he wants as long as he is not limping, and that exercise is actually good to keep up his circulation. Do you think it is ok to continue to let him run around as long as the leg is not bothering him? Should we sit this race out? It's not that I don't trust my vet, but I don't want to inadvertently make him worse. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

~Lindsay~

If he's not limping, bump isn't hot or tender, nothing on x-ray, I'd let him do what he wants within reason. Not sure I'd go so far as an LGRA race, but you'll probably get some more opinions to help you flip the coin on that :) .

If he did whack it, well, soft tissue swellings in a leg can take awhile to go away -- extremities, gravity, and all that.

Fingers crossed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF
Do dogs get ganglion cysts, like people do? :unsure

I thought of that too, because I had one on my foot and almost needed surgery. Luckily the steroid shots took care of it. I didn't think to ask the vet at the appointment though, I was too excited by the fact that Teagan was going to live. :blush

Guest LindsaySF
If he's not limping, bump isn't hot or tender, nothing on x-ray, I'd let him do what he wants within reason. Not sure I'd go so far as an LGRA race, but you'll probably get some more opinions to help you flip the coin on that :) .

If he did whack it, well, soft tissue swellings in a leg can take awhile to go away -- extremities, gravity, and all that.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll let him continue to run around in the yard as long as he is not limping. Race decision pending....

Guest SoulsMom
Do dogs get ganglion cysts, like people do? :unsure

I thought of that too, because I had one on my foot and almost needed surgery. Luckily the steroid shots took care of it. I didn't think to ask the vet at the appointment though, I was too excited by the fact that Teagan was going to live. :blush

:lol I hear ya!

I was thinking that if it is a ganglion cyst, that if he bumped it it might dissolve it . . . .that's how mine was resolved, I whacked it with a book . . . .

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad it's nothing too serious and I hope he gets to run! I am thinking since LGRA is only 200 yards maybe he could run one heat (if he is not limping and seems fine, of course) and you can see how he does from there?

I had a small ganglion cyst on my wrist that had been there for 20 years and last year it just dissolved on it's own... Weird. I don't know if dogs get them or not.

Guest LindsaySF
I was thinking that if it is a ganglion cyst, that if he bumped it it might dissolve it . . . .that's how mine was resolved, I whacked it with a book . . . .

Well you are welcome to come and whack Teagan for me. (I don't want my face eaten off thanks :lol:).

I decided to err on the side of caution and pull him from tomorrow's LGRA race. If the weather is ok and he is walking fine then we might make it out there for a practice run, we'll see.

• 2 months later...
Guest LindsaySF

Just a little update...

I did pull Teagan from the April LGRA race. We resumed normal activity and walks, and he raced on May 9 and June 13, and also at the Fun Run at Raynham on June 12. He is still not limping and is acting fine.

But... His bump is still there. :( I'm getting paranoid now that it is bigger. I'll have to take some pics and compare side by side to see for sure. My mom says it looks the same to her.

Should it have gone away by now? Should I get another x-ray done to check on it? I'm freaking out that it is still there!

I would think if it were something serious you would have seen a noticeable change in size by now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BasilMom

My Grey has the same thing on both sides. Has had them for years. If I recall right I had read something in the medical book about the care of the retired racer and it mentioned something about the tendons there. I would keep an eye on it it if changes size or if limping occurs.

Wouldn't hurt to get another x-ray. If it's hard as a rock and no pain/heat involved, it is probably nothing tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wouldn't recommend that course of treatment. :lol

But on a more serious note, if you are concerned, of course get another xray. Can't hurt. :) But I will say that soft tissue injuries can take a LONG time to heal, especially if the pup is not on strict leash-rest. Alimony had a swollen wrist a year ago. I had similar scary thoughts about osteo... Her xrays were clean, and I leash-rested her for two weeks. Thought it seemed to go away, so I let her run... and yup, the next day, more swollen than ever, even though she never limped. So four agonizing (for my restless nutsy mamadog) weeks of leash rest later, and Alimony was back up to speed.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I guess if I were you I'd probably get another xray just for peace of mind. I hope it turns out to still be nothing!

Guest LindsaySF

Thanks guys.

I pressed on it and it still feels the same as before. It feels hard, but nothing showed up on the x-ray last time so the vet wasn't sure if it was swelling or not.

I could leash-walk him for a while, but he is not limping and it's LGRA season... I guess this would be easier for me if he were limping or favoring that leg in any way, my decision would be made for me basically.

I think I'll get another x-ray. I just need to save the money first. :blush I still need to get more bloodwork done on Honey's thyroid (her T4 and free T4 came back normal but I want to do TSH also).

Darn doggies are expensive! <_<

Guest IrishGH

I had one of my GHs come back from a NOTRA race with a swollen ankle, one of her rear legs(inside). We did the Vet visit, x-rays, etc nothing showed. I spoke with a friend that trains GHs, she though the problem was the GH was hitting her hind leg with one of her front legs when she runs. The trainer told me to get some iodex suave from the drug store and apply it to the affected area. And of course reduced activity for awhile. The iodex will help keep the area soft, if I remember correctly the trainer's worry was a callous type build up. It worked well and she is back to running again. iodex is now a part of our First Aid kit for bumps & bruises from running.

Name - iodex ( with METHYL SALICYLATE)

Pat

Guest LindsaySF

I will look into the iodex, thanks!

Did your vet do a needle biopsy to make sure it is not a mast cell tumor?

No. Should I ask for one?

I had Clancy in the week after for shots and they aspirated some cells from a wart between his toes because it looked suspicious. No mention of a biopsy was made for Teagan though..... :unsure