Regurgitation

Guest Migreys

Guest Migreys

I'm trying to explain to my husband the difference between regurgitation and vomitting in canines and I'm not doing it very well I guess. He's asked me where the slime type stuff comes from if not the stomach. I've searched on Google and I'm not get any closer to an answer. Does anyone have a link I could show him or know where the slime originates from?

I know, it's pretty gross, sorry.

Guest boondog

No apologies. Nothing grosses us out around here! I happened to remember this from some reading about megaesophagus that I did recently. I think it's a pretty good explanation.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/megaesophagus...dogs/page2.aspx

It is important to note that regurgitation, which is the effortless evacuation of fluid, mucus, and undigested food from the esophagus, is the most common clinical sign associated with megaesophagus. Regurgitation must be differentiated from vomiting, which is the forceful evacuation of digested food from the stomach.

Regurgitation is when the dog opens his mouth and just goes "blech." Vomiting is an active process - the stomach is heaving, sometimes there's that gulping noise.... Regurgitation is kind of like if you belch and a little liquid comes up - you didn't actively bring it up, yet there it is.

The slime is bile (yellow) or just mucous (clear).

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I was just going to post a question regarding this for my male Garry. sometimes in the middle of eating, he regurgites , then continues eating. I He will also, at times, much later after eating, bring up a small amount of undigested food with mucous. I haven't taken him to the vet for this yet...he really has done this since we adopted him two years ago..but seems to be a bit more lately. I started giving him one half a pill of pepcid ac with each meal a couple days ago..not issues since then.

BUT after reading that article, I am very worried about him..it said the prognosis was poor for dogs with it??