A friend has recent deer hunt ( :( ) and is saving the antlers for my dogs. Do I need to do anything special? Refrigerate, dry them out, etc? I've only bought one split & dry from the pet store.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I personally wouldn't do much....but I tend to not be overly cautious with that kind of thing. :rolleyes: I'm sure the ones in the store are sterilized, but I am guessing most pups would love the smell of "fresh" better! I know wild meat can sometimes have parasites but I doubt the antlers would. If you are worried you can always freeze them for a few weeks. My pups pick up that kind of thing in the forest all the time and never had a problem.

Guest bluefawn

I couldn't believe that PetSmart wanted $25.00 for a 4-inch piece of deer antler! So I looked on Craigslist a couple of months ago, and found an ad for deer antlers. A woman was cleaning out her Dad's shed. I bought two whole racks of antlers (still attached to the clean skulls) for $25.00. I brought them home, Beat the antlers off of the skulls, then used a hacksaw to saw them into pieces that were about 4 inches in length. I didn't do anything special to them. My girls (greyhound Penny and whippets Sassy & Gracie) took a little while to show interest in them, but after about a week they caught on to them and have been happily enjoying them for 2 months now. I found them very hard to cut. But they do last a long time and don't need any refrigeration or anything. I put out about 4 or 5 at first, and placed the rest in a canister until they are ready for some more. It has taken them a long time to make a "dent" in them - mostly the little girls chew on them. Hope this helps :)

Whatever you do, don't boil them. ;) I don't know from personal experience, but someone said they dissolve when boiled. i'd personally freeze them for 48 hours.

I posted about this a while ago. A friend gave me antlers from her brother's hunting. I ended up doing nothing more than cutting them into managable size chunks. Smaller pieces I gave to neighbors with small dogs (who love them) and I have a supply that should last me for a couple years at least. I found a hack saw was the best bet for cutting them. The smaller teeth are easier for me to manage as I cut through them. Someone suggested to use an electric circular saw, but I'm not that brave as they are really dense and hard. Also, unlike wood, you do have to saw all the way through; they will not break after you get most of the way through.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes ! Ask for BONES TOO!!! They throw the bones away when they butcher a deer - so beg him to throw them in a bag in the freezer for you! (or several bags so they're not stuck together). Raw deer bones are wonderful, with meaty goodness still on them too! Keep them in the freezer and dole out for a super wonderful treat!

If your friend is butchering his own deer he probably has a saw handy so he could cut the antlers into chunks for you.

Edited by sobesmom