Preventic Collar Together With Advantage Ii

Guest elisemg

Many greyhound owners use Preventic collars. You don't want to use one if the dog is liable to EAT the collar or (I think) if you have cats.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyers

I have read on several different websites that sell the collar that it CAN be use in conduction with advantage. I also can't find where I read it, but I think that cat warning is that is literally can't be USED on cats. But I wouldn't swear to that. I plan to purchase the collars and read the insert that comes with it very carefully before I decide to use it for certain. For me I only have a tick problem when we stay in the mountains a few weekends a month, so we may decide to only use these when we are away from home (which usually means away from our cats).

Check with your vet, but my vet recommended using the Preventic collar (which is the only one that's safe for greys AFAIK) in conjunction with Revolution. I stopped using the collars when my cats started snuggling with my hounds, so we've have been avoiding the woods and I've upped my tick inspections. The collars were very effective against ticks; I am still hoping a similar product comes on the market that is safe in close proximity with cats.

If you're using the collars only intermittently, I think they need to be put on at least a couple days before you're traveling into a tick area, but, again -- verify with your vet.

Guest greyers

Why not switch to a combo flea/tick preventative like frontline and avoid the collar all together?

Many of us are finding frontline isn't working for us. That this flea season frontline is hardly touching the fleas. So many folks have switched to advantage which offers no tick control.

If you're using the collars only intermittently, I think they need to be put on at least a couple days before you're traveling into a tick area, but, again -- verify with your vet.

That's what I was thinking we would do. Put it on 24 hours or so before we leave for the mountains and then leave it on for at least 24 after we get back.

Question, before your cats were snuggling with the pups, did the cats ever lay in the greyhounds beds?

greyers, my cats kept a respectful distance from my hounds for a good long while, and didn't sleep in the dogs' beds even when they weren't occupied by hounds (the cats like higher perches and have their own Costco "dog" bed with a fake fur blanket on top of Stella's crate, and that's where they usually like to sleep; in fact, they're there right now). It wasn't until they got comfortable enough to be snuggling with the hounds on the couch -- or all of us sleeping in the same bed together -- that for their safety (with input from my vet) I decided it was time for the Preventic collars to go. I'm going to keep wishing for something as effective on ticks as the Preventic that's cat-safe.

Can the preventic collar be used together with Advantage II or is that an overload? Thanks!

Yes, it's safe to use with Advantage II. With really severe tick problems, it's even fine to use with Frontline or Advantix. The main concern with toxicity in dogs with Preventic collars is if the dog eats it.

Casual contact with Preventic collars won't cause problems with cats, even if the cat snuggles with the dog. You just don't want to actually put the collar on a cat, or let the cat chew on or eat it. Here are a couple previous threads that addressed this:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/277921-ticks/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/277541-frontline-vs-others/

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest elisemg

Thanks for all the advice! I used Frontline but it stopped working for us so I switched to Advantage and that is doing the trick as far as fleas are concerned but I did pull a tick off my girl last week! :wacko: