Raw Diet

Guest Cardiffcouple

Guest Cardiffcouple

Another topic on this site about feeding raw inspired me again to want to try this. I keep reading that dogs have canines so they can rip their meat apart. Well, Ben doesn't have any canines! They were all pulled because they were rotting in his mouth. Sweet gummy Ben. He does have a few molars. Given that he doesn't have any canines would he be able to eat his meal?

As always, thank you for the input!

Absolutely! Actually most dogs don't use their canines to eat unless we're talking a really really large hunk of meat, like the kind where they would stand on it and use their teeth to pull chunks off (i.e. whole deer or large pieces thereof). This is why many raw fed dogs have very clean teeth *except* for their canines, because they don't get much action. It's mostly the back teeth that do the work. Definitely give it a try!

Agree 100%. Give it a try and obviously pick bones of an appropriate size for the amount of molars he has. If he has them all, he should be able to chomp wings, backs, feet, necks (though large turkey could be a bit much) and probably some other things. If he has only a few, stick to the small bones (small chicken back or feet) and see how he does. You don't want bones to be swallowed whole or gums torn up from a lack of a biting surface. Good luck!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Also agree. It will do wonders for the molars he still has. Even if he doesn't have that many molars, my dogs have only chomped bones enough to get them down their gullets. And their gullets are much bigger than ours. lol.gif Digestion starts in the stomach so no reason for them to chew their food more than necessary. Good luck!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Another note: since he doesn't have all his molars I would try to stick to bones that are well covered with meat, none of those bare bone backs or anything sharp. I think his gums will appreciate the cushioning. :)

Guest mcsheltie

They don't use their canines to eat bone. Just watch him at first to see what size chunks of meat he can handle. They are all different, even with a full set of teeth!

Bone in chicken breast would be a good place to start. The bone is very soft

Guest SpicyMom

You could also consider getting a meat grinder - but if you're grinding chicken or turkey bone you'll want a mechanized one (too hard to do by hand). That way you can make your own "soft" food.

Guest snoopycomehome

Well, Snapdragon only uses his front teeth to pick up his drum or thigh, then proceeds to shake it violently (just for fun). It is such a production that he doesn't get his breakfast until I am sittin' down outside with my coffee. Then he may toss it in the air and run zoomies around where it landed. Then he runs to me at about 35mph, stopping on a dime in a bow in front of me (which still startles me every day!). FINALLY he eats it. When I hear crunching, it is the part of the meat/bone that is far back in his mouth that I can't see.

HTH! We have had nothing but a healthier, better lookin' bestie since we started raw over a month ago. :)

Guest Swifthounds

They don't use their canines to eat bone. Just watch him at first to see what size chunks of meat he can handle. They are all different, even with a full set of teeth!

Bone in chicken breast would be a good place to start. The bone is very soft

:nod

Vixen has 4 canines and one other tooth. She manages just fine with split breasts, backs, thigh, and even the occasional leg quarter.