Doggie Edible Play Dough/pill Dough

Guest snakes

For all those humans that need another trick to get pills into thier pups, it works really well for us, especially the bitter ones that get picked out of most things and it isn't quite as messy as PB!

Tuna version is jsut as easy only dry the tuna instead of chicken and use fish broth, I would imagine with tweaking you could make a PB version:

1/4cup dehydrated chicken (i got a can of chicken and dried it in the dehydrator, then ground it using a coffee grinder)

3/4cup flour

1Tbs salt (I actually used 1 tsp and it came out ok)

2 Tbs cream of tartar

1/4 cup chicken buillion

1 cup water (i used the juice from the chicken can)

1 T oil

mix it all together in a pot on medium heat until it starts to thicken then put on low heat until play dough consistency.

Notes: I doubled the recipie with teh same amount of cream of tartar and salt and it was fine.

Do not leave the pot alone with the heat on, it thickens very quickly!

You can freeze some of it to use later.

Edited by snakes

So following a discussion with other people I decided to try a 'grain free' version of this, it uses instant potato (i only experimented using 1/2 recipie so the amounts have been adjusted):

**cooking directions**

mix everything but the potato, heat up to almost boiling, then turn off the heat and add the potato stirring constantly. I went up to the 1 cup potato to get the consistancy i wanted, you could use more or less depending waht is easiest for you.

1/8cup dehydrated chicken (i got a can of chicken and dried it in the dehydrator, then ground it using a coffee grinder)

1 cup instant potato

1/2 Tbs salt

1 Tbs cream of tartar

3/4 cup of the water from the canned chicken (weak chicken buillion would work too)

1/2 T oil

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tip that if your pup starts to reject this you can roll the pill in the ball fo cough in some parmesan cheese or ground peanuts and they will gobble it down :)

I love the idea and I can imagine how they would wolf it down!

One question; why do you need the salt? It might be a problem for dogs who need pills for heart/kidney/blood pressure problems.

ill be honest that i really don't know! i thought maybe it reacted with the other ingredients somehow to give the right texture. I do know i used much less than the recipie (1 tsp instead of 1 Tblsp) and the juice from the canned chicken instead of broth to cut down on salt and it worked fine!

Edited by snakes