Such A Loss

Guest jjmaul

Guest jjmaul

A week ago on Friday we tragically lost our dog Jet. He was a beautiful fawn colored Whippet that we had the joy of having for five years.(He was only five). For those of you who don't know, Whippets look and act exactly like Greys except they are smaller.

The thing that was so awful about all of this is that he got into some antifreeze, probably just a couple of licks. Just enough to shut down his kidneys and he died about three day after he ingested it. I'm still having a real hard time :( as are my husband and children.

Now we are looking into adopting a greyhound which is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Are we just trying to fill the void and rushing into this way to soon? We really miss Jet and hope to get another wonderful pet.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a tragedy.

Your question comes up fairly often here, unfortunately. The consensus seems to be that it is never too soon if you feel you are ready. While a new pet is never a replacement, welcoming someone into your life who really needs a home can definitely help the healing process. Most people here seem to think that our bridge kids would want us to be happy and to open our homes and hearts to another animal in need. I'm pretty sure those people are right. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest mantis

Only you can tell if it is to soon, but my advise is to give yourself and your family time to grieve over Jets death. Sometimes rushing out and getting another animal is the wrong thing to do. Sit down with your family and have a heart to heart talk and then decide. Adopting a grey is a great thing to do but before you do ask yourself am I doing this in the best interest of the dog or for myself.

I'm very sorry to hear of your little ones death you have my deepest sympathy. f_yellow:f_pink:f_white

Rest in Peace Young Jet now you can run with all of the other dog angels at the bridge :angelwings:angelwings

Guest trevdog

Sorry for your loss. Do what you feel is right for your family. Sometimes a new addition helps heal the pain, sometimes it is best to wait a little while.

Run with the other pups at the Bridge, Jet :f_white

I am so sorry for your loss...my deepest sympathy. I think that when the time is right...Jet will send you a special baby to love. :f_red:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your little guy. We got another dog 6 wks. after losing our DeeYoGee. The house was just to empty without him. Sending prayers to help you through this terrible time.

Edited by 4blackgreys

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest auntiesara

I'm so sorry for the loss of Jet. We always adopted within the first few months of our losses because the house was too quiet and the remaining dogs were so sad. You'll never forget Jet even with someonne new to get to know.

I truly believe we WILL see them again....

Sara

Guest Advocatus Diaboli

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I saw an article yesterday that stated that every year, 90,000 animals and 4,000 children ingest the toxic liquid. Thank you for posting, a lot of folks aren't aware of the danger.

Oregon, California and Albuquerque require the addition of bittering agents, and additional legislation is under consideration.

Click for Why is antifreeze so delicious? article

Godspeed Jet.

Guest how888

My heartfelt sympathy. What a sad story,poor little guy.At least you know he is with the best up there, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." :f_red:f_red:f_red

Guest Snowy8
I am so sorry for your loss...my deepest sympathy. I think that when the time is right...Jet will send you a special baby to love. :f_red:f_whitef_yellow

First let me say how sorry I am for the loss of Jet. Bless his heart...and bless yours & your family...this is so sad. Its such a tragedy.

Secondly, when my 1st greyhound Sadie-Grey died, I felt so helpless. I wandered literally around the house, around work...people thought I was sedated because I would just sit at my desk & bawl my eyes out. I would come home at night & could not function. I called the adoption kennel & as soon as Grace answered the phone, I started crying....I hadn't even told her what I wanted.

I think, believe, that Jet will send you a signal that its time. Be sensitive to his message. It'll be something sudtle I'm sure.

You might want to just go to the adoption kennel & spend the day with the pups, just get to know some of them & then come home & decide. Let the decision be yours & your family. It could be your family might not be ready...and then might be resentful for you adopting another pup so soon.

If you were close by, I'd let you borrow one of mine...just know we're here for you. f_yellow:gh_lay

I'm so sorry for your loss. We used to have a whippet, and they are such sweethearts!

After our first greyhound passed away, it was only two weeks before we brought home Angel. She was so wonderful to have around, and gave me something else to worry about besides my aching heart.

A new pet doesn't replace the one who's gone...it just gives us a place to put that love bursting from our hearts.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest Snowy8
A new pet doesn't replace the one who's gone...it just gives us a place to put that love bursting from our hearts.

Exactly!!!

Today we had a very sweet person come in & adopt a pupper who really needed a lot of loving. She isn't replacing the pupper who died, she's helping the owner start a new life.

And just like you said, she's helping to distract you from your hurts. Greys have a way of taking the hurt & turning it around.

They are so sensitive to our feelings & thoughts that they can make us smile or laugh at the simpliest little life things.

Its like they're putting a bandage over the hurt...

Guest shirley

So terribly sorry for your loss. If you feel the need to get another dog straight away then thats what you should do. Every situation is different and you must do what is right for yours.