Taz And Sandy

Guest Ferrevergrey

Guest Ferrevergrey

3 years ago today I made one of the hardest decisions of my life and had my heartdog, Taz, euthanized due to agression problems that we couldn't get worked out a short 6 months after I rescued him from life on a 6' chain being beaten and neglected. He was less then half the weight he should have been when I rescued him, and he had many emotional and physical scars from being beaten. Yet from day one, Taz loved me and attatched himself to my side. He was the one of the most loyal devoted dogs I have ever had the priviledge to know. He loved me to no end, and I loved him just as much, but I had to face the horrible fact of what would happen if I didn't do something. I knew it was only a matter of time before Taz would seriously hurt somone or something, but still it didn't make it any easier. I tried every method there was to work things out, vet trips, behaviorists, you name it, but the aggression to anyone other then me only grew worse, and I knew I had to let him go before the inevitable happened, and it broke my heart. I will never forget the look on his face that day I left him in that cage and walked away from him. I shouldn't have looked back, the look of betrayal and hurt was so clear in his beautiful eyes. That same day my mom brought home Sandy from the shelter. At first I was furious because my heart was broken and all I wanted was my Taz, but Sandy grew on me. Sandy crossed the bridge on February 11, 2002 after I trusted someone with him while we where out of town that betrayed my trust by doing things I had told them not to, which resulted in Sandy getting loose. He was roaming loose for 3 days before we got a phonecall from the vet telling us our precious baby had been hit by a car and despite his best efforts, he couldn't be saved. I don't know how long Sandy had been wondering alone, I don't know how long he'd been lying on the side of the street before a kind soul stopped and rushed him to the vet. I'll probably never know those things, but I do know that from now on, I will never be able to look at a stray dog and not try to help.

I miss you my sweet angels. It's only been 3 years since that day when you crossed the bridge Taz, and when you came into my life Sandy, but it feels like much much longer. Your memories had inspired me to do many great and wonderful things, the legacies you two left behind will go on to save many dogs. Never again will I look at a chained dog or a stray wondering the streets and not care again. You boys taught me some valuable lessons which I will be forever grateful for. I miss you with all my heart and look forward to the day when we will be together again. Other dogs will come and go in my life, but I believe it will be you two boys who will always be my inspiration to help others. I know you where sent to me for a reason, and you boys where both with me for far to short of a time. The short months we spent together will live on forever in my heart. I know God sent you to me to teach me about love and loss and to teach me the joys of taking the less then perfect dogs. Without you Taz, I doubt I would have my Kristi in my life right now. She was so much like you when I first met her, scared, beaten, and distrustful of everyone...But me. Every day I see so many similarities between you two, I know it was you who guided me and Kristi together. Sandy, your memory has inspired me to want to adopt the older, "unadoptable" dogs. I can't believe the shelter ever told us that you where to old to make a good pet! Shows what they know about waht really makes a wonderful dog!!! I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful dog, you where the perfect dog everyone hopes for!!!!!!!! Take care my sweet boys, I love you and I miss you, you will live on in my heart forever!!!!!

Sandy4.jpg

Sandy5.jpg

2 pictures of Sandy on Christmas day, 2001

Sandy.jpg

This was the last picture ever taken of my precious Sandy.

Taz2.jpg

Taz1.jpg

2 pictures of TazTaz the day before I had him put down

Taz.jpg

Taz 3 1/2 months after I rescued him-you can see how skinny he still was!

Guest Ferrevergrey

Actually, most of the pain from loosing these boys has been replaced by love and gratitude for the things they taught me. Without Taz I probably would have never adopted Kristi. She's a lot like him in many ways, I see him in her almost daily!!!! And without Sandy I would have never known the pleasure of having a dog that was "to old" become a part of my life and my heart. These are the 2 who really got me into rescue work, every dog I've rescued owes it to these boys. They may be gone in body, but thier spirit and thier legacy will live on as long as I'm alive.

Guest auntiesara

It's so important to take in the ones noone else wants. You'll always miss them. I truly believe we WILL be reunited.

Sara