Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Any Experience?

Chase, age 11.5 was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy two and a half weeks ago. An echocardiogram, along with a veterinary cardiologist, confirmed he has a pretty advanced case. Our regular vet actually thought he would not survive the first weekend.

Since then, Chase has been on a lot of meds which have helped tremendously.

Benazepril once a day.

Vetmedin twice a day.

Spironolactone twice a day.

Diltiazem three times a day.

He is also on soloxine twice a day for hypothyroidism and mirtazapine once a day as an appetite stimulant.

We briefly tried lasix but it was really hard on him and our vet was more pro spironolactone anyway, so we stopped the lasix.

The once daily pills he gets during the day.

He has been doing really well except for being excessively thirsty. To add to his issues, Chase has megaesophagus, so I have to meter out the water intake or he regurgitates.

So, for whatever reason, Chase seems to have a difficult time at night, usually a few hours before his second batch of pills. Extra thirsty and excessive panting, unable to catch his breath. Once we go to bed (and after his second batch of pills) he seems okay, and he's basically good again until late the next evening. I'm trying to figure out if there is a cause/effect between all the water he's been drinking, or something to do with the meds.

I realize thirst and panting are part of the disease. The fact that it only seems to be late at night for Chase make me question if something we're doing or not doing (either with water or meds) is contributing to these episodes since the timing is pretty consistent.

I expect to hear from our vet later today as we just did blood testing and she'll probably call with the results. So I'll ask her opinion. But I was wondering what anyone else had experienced and if you might be able to shed any light on these nightly episodes?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I know my brother has to ration his fluids; too much and he will retain it around his heart and lungs causing shortness of breath. He has congestive heart failure. Maybe by the end of the day your boy is retaining too much fluid?

That's what I was wondering.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.