Broken Toenail

Guest Mull

well, now I feel terrible. I posted before about Rory's footing seeming off, and got a lot of 'just adjusting'. He went to the vet yesterday and got a clean bill of health. Then as soon as we got back, I noticed that one of his back toenails was broken off. *sigh* Is this something they should have noticed at his exam? Is it something that we can treat at home, or do we have to haul the poor guy back in?

Ugh, I feel like a terrible pet parent for not noticing this before. There is just a small stump of nail remaining.

Poor Rory! Is he in any pain? Is he bleeding a lot? Does the remainder of the nail seem loose? Does it touch the ground when he walks? If yes to any question, I'd call your vet.

If he seems back to himself, and you feel comfortable with it, you can keep it clean and keep an eye on it. If there is any open wound and/or he is licking it a lot, you can slather it in Neosporin and put on a toddler sock. We fasten them on the leg with a little self-adhering wrap. If the remainder of the nail comes off, styptic powder or cornstarch will help stop the bleeding. I'd then disinfect and do the ointment and sock thing twice a day.

I'd call the vet ASAP if it gets red, pink, swollen, ugly, or warmer than the other paws. Good luck!

With our dog it seems worse when it's cracked or loose, and a relief for him when it finally breaks off.

He has been 'off' on that leg like he's not putting full weight on it. When he went up a short flight of brick steps yesterday, he acted like he had knocked it and wouldn't put it down for a minute or two, and then acted like it was fine. He's not licking it and it doesn't look like it bled at all recently. I think it may have occurred before he was picked up by the rescue, or possibly while he was staying there, because him being off on his hind has been happening pretty much since we saw him moving around at home. There's no loose pieces, just a very short nub.

image1_zpsfabjoxrv.jpg

Thank you so much for replying!

Glad you posted a photo. It might still be a bit sore, but from what I can see appears very well into the healing process. I wouldn't worry about it. I would not be concerned about a vet seeing it at this stage, unless it begins bleeding badly, or begins looking very red/infected, or if Rory becomes obsessed with it.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Does it look like the nail was hollow? Look very close at his other nails, are any of the other nails getting ready to sluff off? One thing to be concerned about is SLO. This is not common, but i have known a few greyhounds that get it. It is an autoimmune issue, and the only true way to diagnose is removal of a part of toe. Most of the time when one nail comes off, others follow and it is pretty easy to diagnose without taking part of a toe. This is something that is very painful for the hound. Not trying to be an alarmist, but just something to keep in the back of your mind if another nail mysteriously comes off.