Stubborn Little Darling

Guest Nat13

My only minor concern is that she isn't getting a lot of exercise this way, just a handful of runs around the garden each day, but I'm kind of assuming at this point that it's best to try and go at her pace as we build her trust and confidence?

Yes, good to simply allow her non-pressured time to adjust to her new people, new home and fenced garden. She's probably tired and overwhelmed. Try to limit the focus to her most simple, basic needs for the time being.

Try not to worry about exercise at this early stage for several reasons:

She's 5 years old and doesn't require an excessive amount of exercise. Her zoomies in the fenced garden are fine. Building her trust in you and her home environment is more important now.

Even young racers only run 1 or maximum 2 times per week for approximately 30 seconds on race day. Otherwise, they are in their kennel unless in their sand elimination area.

I'm in the U.S. but when we get newly retired foster Greyhounds from racing kennels/tracks, they arrive with very little endurance or pad toughness for walks.

Example: We start with 5 minute walks for the first several days, then 10 minute walks, etc. while slowly building up to 45 minutes as a long-term goal to reach in a couple of months.

A few benefits of building duration/distance slowly:

- Newly retired Greyhounds arrive with very soft paw pads which can become sore/damaged if walked too far too soon, especially if on hard surfaces. (Racers are used to soft sand surfaces.)

- Introduces Greyhounds to their new surroundings (neighborhood, people, strange looking dogs, cats, cars, trucks, strange noises, etc.) little by little in a respectful, less frightening manner.

- Builds their physical walking endurance (and pad toughness) within their comfort threshold.

Just a guess, but her paw pads might be a little sore from walking on snow too.

Years ago, one of our other dogs (different large breed) developed frostbite on paw pads during a short neighborhood walk on snow (possibly mixed with a little road salt/sand which made it worse). Vet taught us to limit walk times on snowy surfaces unless dogs wore boots, and to clean off paws after quick outings since snow/ice can get caught in between toe pads for an extended time.

Your new girl is lovely! She looks quite happy in her new home. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Yes, you're on the right track with your baby steps. It's good that she is happy out in the garden off her leash (turn out in a fenced paddock is what she will be used to from racing kennels). Don't worry about the walks just now, she will poop in the garden if she really needs to.

It's better that she builds trust in you and doesn't get freaked out by leash, walks and associating your making her do 'scary things' like walks, until she is more settled and ready .

Once she has settled in more and seems more open to the idea of walks, it would be great if you can find another pet greyhound for her to buddy up with out on walks occasionally. Like horses, if the 'green' greyhound is with another grey that is experienced in the outside world, they will follow their lead and feel more secure. Maybe your group could put you in touch with someone.

She is gorgeous by the way! Such a cute little face.

Edited by Amber

It's been 2 full weeks now since we adopted Nina (and feels like longer!).

She's really coming out of her shell in the house and we've had zoomies and playtime round the house several times now. She's started playing with her toys now too so is obviously getting more comfortable as the days go by. She will now happily have her collar and lead put on and walk a few houses down the street before wanting to come back. She'll also very happily go to the car and jump into the boot on her own which is great.

Yesterday we drove her to a local private enclosed dog walking field and let her off the lead. For the first 15 minutes she wouldn't go too far from the gate which we'd come in though, where she could still see the car. My husband and I walked to the other side of the field and left her to explore and sniff around. She slowly started to venture further form the gate, and kept going back to check that the car was still there. Eventually she seemed to decide that the car wasn't going anywhere and came to the other side of the field to us and then walked round happily with us. This seems like excellent progress. She obviously just needs to do everything at her own speed. We'll book the field again next weekend and in the mean time just keep going a few houses down the street in the hope that she'll start getting more comfortable with that too!

• 3 months later...
Guest Noosh

We had that staying in bed all day thing when our boys where new, too - with every one of them. Since they are all settled all of them come running tp the door whenever I get near it. They want to go outside all the time. But when I take them with me, or only one or two of them and I forgot to turn the rain off, I have a couple of really stubborn boys wanting to go back inside because it is entirely my fault that they got wet.

We are having that issue with our newly adopted girl. It's just started Winter here ( Southern Australia) and she refuses to "do wees" in the cold of morning, or when it's raining. :snow She then proceeds to whine and pace around inside, needing to go!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please say it will ameliorate with time!

I thought only cats did this!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wally

Hi Natalie & Ninja You are expecting too much. 2 months for her to know where she is and where she stands in the pack.Use only single or two word commands.the words to be consistent from you and your husband.deep voice to demand lighter voice for play and I use one sound "ARGH" LOUD AND DEEP if Shirley is sprung out of line .It was used several times after settling in 1 month and in last 6 month only twice. She has never repeated the act after the loud noise. just love your girl for a little longer and keep demands for at home a little longer.you are in effect trading a 3 year old child equivalent. Good luck Wally. nd Shirley.

We are having that issue with our newly adopted girl. It's just started Winter here ( Southern Australia) and she refuses to "do wees" in the cold of morning, or when it's raining. :snow She then proceeds to whine and pace around inside, needing to go!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please say it will ameliorate with time!

I thought only cats did this!

Oh, yes. That's sounds very familiar. Mine came to me in Summer & refused to go out in the rain. We live in an area that can get lots of rain. I ended up getting her a raincoat, actually a lightweight, highly water resistant coat. Solved the problem, until... Winter arrived & she didn't want to go out in the cold & wind. So I pulled out the coat to use for those days & it solved the problem again. Though admittedly I did need to stand outside to make sure she'd really gone, but at least I wasn't having to wait forever with her standing there, looking woebegone. Over time she didn't need the coat. She just seemed to need it during that early transition period.