Rmb Success!

Guest Johberry

Guest Johberry

Excuse the cheesiness, but I just wanted to share my ridiculous joy in Enzo's first successful consumption of a RMB. We had been having a hard time sourcing them, keeping him from horking, and getting him to stay in one area. After much determination and lots of great advice and encouragement from wonderful raw feeding members on this board, we had our first real success. We found a local butcher who not only sells turkey necks (chicken backs and necks as well as well as organs, etc. specifically for dogs) but also sells by the case at a discount. To start, we bought just a few turkey necks earlier today to see how our hound would do. Partially defrosted and gave him one on a towel in the kitchen. Lots of supervision and 20 minutes later, the neck was gone and Enzo figured out he needed to lay down (on the towel) and chew, chew, chew to eat it! Will have to see his output later but it seems his tummy seems quite happy. At 70 lbs, the 1+ lb of turkey neck seems a bit big for one meal for our boy but will of course have to balance with perhaps a lighter all-meat/organ breakfast and the turkey neck for dinner. Anyways, sorry for the essay, was just so excited. Am now looking forward to ordering a 30-lb case of necks and will have to inquire about the discount as the single necks we bought today were $1.99/lb.

We were crunching numbers and balked at the amount we had been spending on his pre-made "raw" food (Ziwipeak) and have recently decided to buy fresh/frozen raw meat instead as it is a bit more economical and healthier.

Thanks for letting me share!

Guest Johberry

Thank you! The butcher is actually for "human" food but they also cater to those who feed their pets raw. We went in just to look and found they have a separate freezer section labeled "Dog Food and Bones." I practically squealed. After picking out turkey necks, chicken gizzards, and lamb kidney, we inquired about the possibility of ordering the turkey necks by the case and the owner piped in and explained they can also order chicken necks and backs. I was so excited that I forgot to ask about beef heart and other red meat.

For those who buy in bulk such as a 30-lb case, is a separate freezer a must? We live in a 1bd apartment and the layout doesn't allow for a separate small freezer to fit in the kitchen where we have wood laminate and the rest of the apt aside from the bathroom is carpeted. Would a 30-lb case of turkey necks even fit in our regular apt freezer? I'm worried that I buy a case of food and it won't fit. Should I first stick with buying our hound's food in smaller quantities weekly? Thanks in advance.