How To Keep Her From Jumping

Guest 18tjettagrl

Guest 18tjettagrl

So I have no clue what this knucklehead did but once again she's torn off a huge layer of skin off her upper arm now. We'll this isn't anything new for her to do this in her moment of running and losing control. Normally bandage it for 24 hours with neosporin and she's good to go a few days later. This time the joint that connects paw to leg is swollen!! She is not really limping and no yelping when touched or anything. It's a little warm but she's not favoring one leg or the other. I'm assuming (which yes I know is bad) that it was probably while she injured the top portion and maybe a sprain. We won't let her jump on the couch but how do you keep her from jumping down the steps. She walks the 1st one then the last 2 she just jumps to the bottom. That can't be good. I'm watching her swelling closely and won't be able to make a vet appointment until Monday.

Hold her collar until she reaches the bottom--or put a harness on her and hold onto that--and make her take each step. If you're letting her out in a fenced yard to run, you can unleash her once she safely reaches the bottom. If there's not enough room on the steps for you to stand next to her to control her, get in front of her so she can't pass you.

A way to teach it: she puts her front legs on the first step down, you stop her there and treat her. Front legs down another step, stop and treat her again. Stop and treat on each step, with a jackpot at the end. The minute she jumps, the treats stop until the next outing and you can try again. She only gets rewarded for taking the steps carefully.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest 18tjettagrl

She still tried to jump it but we are getting better. Of course as soon as we got her down the stairs she takes off running. *sigh* therefore I feel if her swollen leg was that horrible she'd not be running around like a goofball. Still going Monday but I am a little calmer now. I am a worrier for sure. No human children as animals are my type of children but panic apparently the same. Thanks for the advice :)