Muzzle Or No Muzzle?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

I've only had my grey for under a week. Should I put her muzzle on while going to public areas that could have animals? Petco,petsmart.. ?

Guest Lillypad

How exciting, congratulations on being a new greyhound owner. You have great times ahead. IMO if your girl is not aggressive toward other dogs and she is on her leash, I don't see a need for her muzzle. However, I would limit my time there, you do not want her to get overwhelmed by all the new stimuli that a pet store has to offer. Consider going during off hours, Saturday seems to be a crazy day at pet stores. Considering she is a new adoptee it might be fun to join one of the basic obedience classes these stores offer.

Guest OhCatastrophe

How exciting, congratulations on being a new greyhound owner. You have great times ahead. IMO if your girl is not aggressive toward other dogs and she is on her leash, I don't see a need for her muzzle. However, I would limit my time there, you do not want her to get overwhelmed by all the new stimuli that a pet store has to offer. Consider going during off hours, Saturday seems to be a crazy day at pet stores. Considering she is a new adoptee it might be fun to join one of the basic obedience classes these stores offer.

She seems to be more shy around over dogs, she's only met one through a fence that was smaller than her, she's also afraid of the cat haha. I was going to go this afternoon so it should be too busy. I just need to go get treats. I may think of enrolling her. But I e had some training personally from the trainers (so us volunteers can train the shelter dogs) so I may just do what I've learned. I seem to be good with training. Thanks for the response! I'll keep her off muzzle and just stay alert :)

IMHO, muzzles should really only be used for:

• Situations where all other dogs are muzzled (i.e. a multiple-dog household where a new member is being introduced, an off-leash play group, more than one dog in a small space, like the car)
  • Dogs who are destructive chewers
  • Dogs who actively scavenge for food
  • Dogs who are aggressive with other dogs who have past behavior of biting/snapping/instigating
  • Vet procedures that may cause the dog to bite out of pain
  • Cat-training or small-dog training with high prey greys

Not a good idea to muzzle her in a public place like a pet store, dog park, or on walks. You want her to be able to defend herself in the off chance that something goes awry. If you want to start taking her places where other dogs are around, just keep a wide berth until you can reasonably predict her behavior. A week is a very short amount of time, though. I'd probably hold off and do controlled interactions with calm, well-behaved dogs that you're familiar with first.

Guest OhCatastrophe

IMHO, muzzles should really only be used for:

• Situations where all other dogs are muzzled (i.e. a multiple-dog household where a new member is being introduced, an off-leash play group, more than one dog in a small space, like the car)
  • Dogs who are destructive chewers
  • Dogs who actively scavenge for food
  • Dogs who are aggressive with other dogs who have past behavior of biting/snapping/instigating
  • Vet procedures that may cause the dog to bite out of pain
  • Cat-training or small-dog training with high prey greys

Not a good idea to muzzle her in a public place like a pet store, dog park, or on walks. You want her to be able to defend herself in the off chance that something goes awry. If you want to start taking her places where other dogs are around, just keep a wide berth until you can reasonably predict her behavior. A week is a very short amount of time, though. I'd probably hold off and do controlled interactions with calm, well-behaved dogs that you're familiar with first

Thanks! that list helps a lot :)

We did a meet with the neighbor dog today. Neighbor dog i a very old Sheltie possibly a mini sheltie... lol AND... Cleo, my grey, was promptly afraid of her.. even though all the other dog was doing was sitting there.. it was quite funny. Cleo has that "stuck up" greyhound attitude that I've heard they get around other non-greys hahaha. But I did decide to wait a bit before I take her to petco.

P.S I love your collars :)

Edited by OhCatastrophe