Training Progression?

Guest HeatherLee

Guest HeatherLee

I've already (kind of by accident) trained Gambler to sit, lay down, get up, and somewhat of "leave it". However I'd like to train him more.. formally so I've started with clicker training after reading neversaynevergreyhounds.net and have found good advice other places and some things I'd like to teach him.. HOWEVER..

I can't seem to find anywhere that mentions the progression of steps this should follow. For example, how long do I spend teaching one behavior before moving to the next? What order should they be taught?

Sorry I'm a very analytical person and I know animals are unpredictable but I need some sort of plan. I just want to teach him basics of obedience now, like stay, come, heel, and a better grasp of leave it. Currently I'm working on name recognition (not with a clicker)

thanks

I think if you're working on a behaviour that the dog seems to be picking up, keep on it until the dog knows it well.

If you work on a behaviour that the dog isn't getting, then drop it for a bit and work on others that the dog is starting to understand. He's learning to learn, so there is no point pursuing something he doesn't 'get'.

I've found the best success in training has been to mix up tricks. I don't think it needs to be linear, as in, teach one thing over and over before moving on to the next.

If you mishmash what you're teaching Gambler, you may be able to keep his interest longer in training sessions, and also be able to pick up on what is easy and what needs more time.

I don't think there is necessarily any 'order'; it depends so much on the dog. If he is having trouble with a certain training, step him back to something he knows to build confidence, then move on to something he finds challenging.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Right now Kili has about 4 tricks on the go, plus agility stuff.

I drop stuff that isn't going well to revisit later and focus on stuff that she is picking up on well.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I'm also starting training with my pup, Nova. Like you, I went to Never Say Never and love the videos and also the videos posted by krissy (Thank you krissy). Like you, I wasn't sure how to progress and I remembered a book that a friend (who is a vet) suggested to me. How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves by Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM. It can be a bit dry reading as it explains Operant and Classical conditioning but I've slogged through it and now I have a much better understanding of how important timing is (VERY, VERY) and when your dog is ready to move on. I got my copy on Amazon for about $20 and worth every penny. I'm thinking with you being analytical this book might be right for you. Good luck!

Guest jetska

You may be analytical but the dog is not ;) Like the others I have found that if a dog doesn't pick up what I want quickly, I drop it and move to the next thing. Then often when I go back to it the dog does better at it!

As for what to teach first, 'leave it' is very important for a hound especially one which may hoover up undesirable things on walks....'stays' tend to reinforce the 'sit', 'lie down' positions and are good for self control so it's also good to work on. Recall is another thing, as well as working on playing 'tug' with toys and running sort of games to make it fun for the dog.

'Go to your bed' is also a really good and useful one.

Of course, fun things like 'shake' and 'spin' are easy to teach and fun for you AND the dog.