Separation Anxiety Returns

Guest badderh

Guest badderh
I recently received a full time job and our grey Rocky is not taking well to this change at all. I am gone for a full work day which is something he hasn't experienced prior to this. With his separation anxiety we had previously done extensive training with him, tried calming aids from the store, he has his grey buddy Loki, we've consulted vets, and had professional trainers work with him (and us) on how to help him. He seemed to be calmer after we adopted Loki and the SA died down and we had no problems while I was working my part time job were I was only gone for 4-5 hours a day. We know this for sure because we lived in the same house as our landlords and they had nothing but good things to say about him and rarely heard a peep.
We got an email from our landlord this evening about him disturbing other tenants now though which is an issue we have to address asap. I realize doggy daycare is a possible need for him in order to get him through this, however I would love some advice and suggestions on the matter since I'm kind of at wits end at the moment and pretty stressed out knowing that our landlord has contacted us and that he isn't coping well with my schedule change. We are also checking in with our new vet here in CA to see what they would advise since we had almost put him on medication with our former vet in MI.
I've been working for 2 and a half weeks now and I was hoping he would have adjusted by now but that just isn't the case any help at all is much appreciated. I am not sure how to proceed from here other than either doggy daycare or medication :(

Congratulations on your new job! :)

How long have you lived in your current residence?

Is this residence different from the home you shared with a previous landlord?

Did your current landlord provide times and type of Rocky's behavior (assuming howling and/or barking)?

Example: Is Rocky making noise in the morning for a short time after you leave, or mid-day, or shortly before you return home in the late afternoon, or ALL day long from the moment you leave until the moment you return?

Are you able to video him?

What times are his meals provided?

What about his morning outing/s?

Did you do any preparation work with him before you went back to work? Like, stay out an extra quarter hour after work for a few days then when he was OK with that, an extra half hour for a few days, then an extra hour etc?

Medication may help, and since he's an SA hound anyway, he may need extra time and extra work to adjust to your new hours. Is there any possibility that you can arrange for someone to come and be with him each day to run through the schedule as mentioned above, if you didn't go through it before you went to work? Of course, that would only work if he's getting agitated at your normal homecoming time. If he's gone back to square one, then you will need to do so, too.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest rarmstrong

I'm sorry that this is so stressful for you :( However you and your man were able to get through last time, and I'm confident you will do it again! Right now it's totally okay to be stressed and feel it. You'll find the patience in no time I'm sure.

Congratulations on your new job! :)

How long have you lived in your current residence?

Is this residence different from the home you shared with a previous landlord?

**Did your current landlord provide times and type of Rocky's behavior (assuming howling and/or barking)?**

Example: Is Rocky making noise in the morning for a short time after you leave, or mid-day, or shortly before you return home in the late afternoon, or ALL day long from the moment you leave until the moment you return?

Are you able to video him?

What times are his meals provided?

What about his morning outing/s?

I think getting more inquiry into the duration and frequency of his bx will help you. It may be better than you anticipated, or it might be exactly what you thought. Either way, you will know and will have a starting point. With a good starting point, you'll be able to put together an effective plan.

Hang in there :)

Another idea: Can you have someone come in after 4 - 5 hours and take him for a walk? It could be that all day is just too long for him.