Big Dog Natural - Raw/dehydrated Reviews?

Guest snowmo18

Guest snowmo18

Hi All,

I switched over our dogs from grain free...to frozen raw..then to Big Dog Natural dehydrated RAW...Love the stuff, and its just as nutritional as the frozen raw but less mess. It seems like my boy eats a lot of it and hasnt really gained much weight. Anyone else out there use it and thoughts on it? Anyone supplement with some high calorie treats or adds to the meals?

www.bigdognatural.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FreeholdHound

I am curious about the BDN foods. I feed kibble in AM & raw frozen in PM. This looked like a good food to add in to rotation. My boy can't have poultry but their Beef or Tripe looks interesting.

Guest FreeholdHound

On second thought I can't find any detailed analysis on their recipes, which I find strange. To be completely balanced there has to be something added to the Tripe recipe but nothing listed.

I just contacted the company asking for their nutrient profiles. We shall see. In the meantime, Sojos sounds similar, much more limited in variety, and the nutrient profiles are on their website.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Well, Big Dog Natural is very proud of their food, but they aren't ready to provide a nutrient profile.

My inquiry:

"Thank you. I found the product analysis, but need the nutrient profile, ie how much protein, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium, potassium, zinc, niacin, folic acid, iodine, pantothenic acid, iodine, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamin A, D & E, etc, etc, etc....................you get the idea. It's usually broken down into three different groups: "As Received", "Dry Matter Basis" "As Served (Hydrated)".

This analysis is crucial for dogs with kidney or liver disease as an example. I have a dog with kidney disease and it is vital to know the calcium/phosphorous ratio."

Their reply:

"According to our latest analysis, the ca/ph ratio of the beef is 1.1:1. The Tripe Supreme has a ca/ph ratio of 1.78:1.
The ratio of the chicken is 1.56:1. All the calcium in our products is from natural origin. You can't compare this with the studies out there based on products where calcium is added as a supplement.
We have our analysis split up in "As received" and "Dry matter". I really don't understand the "As Served" part. This all depends how much water is added by the customer. Some dogs like it a bit dryer, some a bit more moist.

We are looking for the highest bio-availability possible. Most artificial supplements that you see used in all kind of different dog foods simply don't do the job. They are not readily available. This is also the reason we ferment the vegetables. The fermented vegetables make the calcium, vitamins, and the ingredients in general, highly bio-available.
We hear excellent testimonials from our customers on a daily basis. Older dogs that start playing again, dogs that get better muscle tone, long time ear infections that disappear, etc... the list is endless. Dogs that went from one vet to another for years, and get better after being on Big Dog Natural. This keeps us going and tells us that we're doing the correct thing.

Linda, I know what your saying but I raised and owned Mastiffs for over 30 years. We have an old school approach of dog food. Use high quality ingredients and you're good. I never raised my kids by over analyzing their foods but they were fed well and healthy. I really don't believe there is a need for deep analysis when the ingredients are top quality. You only need supplements and additives when crap is used. We use the analysis as a guideline to formulate the product, not as a marketing tool. We just want a healthy dog food for healthier dogs.

Hope this help

Carl Van Bael
The Big Dog Natural Team"

Bottom Line? If you have a specific concern, email them and Big Dog Natural may provide the information, but they aren't going to provide a complete nutrient analysis as does The Honest Kitchen or Sojos; two of their competitors.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest snowmo18

This is what I see on their website for nutrition analysis

http://www.bigdognatural.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=111

What I really like about it is that there are less than 15 ingredients in it.

I have been feeding it to my houndies now for 3 months...and It has been wonderful

I know Dog food advisor is in the works of doing a review too

I've been following this thread b/c I'm contemplating going to dehydrated/raw food for James but found The Honest Kitchen prices to be super expensive. That email from response from Big Dog Natural is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, you likely won't find a "cheap" dehydrated food. I have found the prices for any premade raw diet to be INSANE! I do realize that it is partially because they are composed of mostly meat, but for me (unless I owned a Chihuahua or something) I would be eaten out of house and home. A more economical method might be to use it as an add-in to kibble. :)

Unfortunately, you likely won't find a "cheap" dehydrated food. I have found the prices for any premade raw diet to be INSANE! I do realize that it is partially because they are composed of mostly meat, but for me (unless I owned a Chihuahua or something) I would be eaten out of house and home. A more economical method might be to use it as an add-in to kibble. :)

I know...I'm figuring that out. Guess it's time to go buy a lottery ticket. :P