Greyhound-Only Obedience?

Guest NRN13

Guest NRN13

Does this exist? I'm in Northern Virginia and looking to take a basic low key, positive reinforcement obedience class. Would be even better just with Greyhounds. I've looked online but haven't found anything.

Sorry I accidentally posted this twice. Still learning!!

Guest Yankeegreyhound

You might want to ask the group you adopted through, if they are local. Years ago, when we first got Sara, we took her to a class at Petsmart. It was ok but as you said, it woud have been better if all greyhounds since they are well, special! The teacher was kind of anti-greyhound training and didn't think they could be trained. She said "a greyhound will never learn to sit". Well, Sara showed her and she was the best sitter in the class!

I'm friends with a local Petsmart trainer who is very dedicated to the profession. I asked her if she could do a greyhounds-only class for me and a few adopters, and she told me that as long as 4-6 people could attend, she'd do it. I put a call out on my group's facebook page to gauge interest and there was enough to do it, so she created a class on the schedule just for us! We're starting the class end of this month. If there's a trainer you like, maybe you could ask him/her if you could do the same.

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)

I think I'll stop in at Petsmart and see about the Greyhound experience their trainers have. And glad Sara showed the trainer how smart she was!!

We took our first two greyhounds to a "Life in the Slow Lane" obedience class--believe it was arranged through our adoption group, with a trainer from a local humane society. Perhaps check with local adoption groups to see if they have anything like that?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.