Dogsbar

Guest Waterdog66

Guest Waterdog66

So Audrey loves DogsButter and after 'Accidentally' making a sandwich with the stuff, I can see why she likes it. (Its the best peanut butter) I like it because from an ingredients perspective, its way better than HUMAN Peanut Butter. (Home Made not withstanding)

As part of my nutrition plan, I regularly eat Clif Bars and Audrey takes a keen interest in them when she hears the wrapper crinkling. (When we are out on hikes) I wondered if Clif Bars would be something she could eat but even with "Organic" ingredients its very hard to tell.

Then I discovered DogsBar (Made by the DogsButter People). The ingredient list makes a Clif Bar look like JUNK FOOD and she seems to like them. I tried a couple of bites and if they were not double the price of a Clif Bar, I would happily switch to DogsBars to fuel my workouts :rolleyes:

I am sure the Caveat to giving her a DogsBar on a hike is to make sure she gets some extra water along with it. (Same Rule Applies for Me)

I am of the opinion that I won't feed her anything that I would not also eat. (That's why she does not get junk food) At least from that perspective, I APPROVE :D

Does anyone else have any experience with DogsBars?

Guest Waterdog66

Can you find a place to order online in bulk? It might be cheaper and then you could eat them too :P

But no, I don't have any experience with them - sorry!

Actually I did find them in bulk. The discounted price is about $3 per bar (As opposed to nearly $6 Retail) but I get Clif Bars through my sponsor for less than $1 a bar :)

I have a couple of "Samples" that I can use to make sure she likes then AND that they agree with her before I pull the trigger and start buying in bulk. Methinks given her early reaction to them, they are going to make an excellent trail snack for her :D

No experience with Dogsbar or Dogsbutter, but I just thought it was funny that you tried some of Audrey's treats. I decided to taste a Himalayan chew today before giving it to my pup. Now I don't feel so weird!

On another note, we make our own no bake protein/energy bars as we're lucky to have easy access to locally made (and non excessively refined and possibly adulterated) honey. Though less than $1 a bar for Clif Bars is pretty sweet! (are you a pro runner or pro triathlete?)

No experience with Dogsbar, but if you want to go cheaper you can easily find peanut butter for humans with no salt, sugar, etc. Kraft even makes some. It is a lot cheaper here then the "specialty" stuff for dogs and basically the same thing. You can mix it with some of the ingredients in the Dogsbar (flax, molasses, rice, etc), flatten it down on a cookie tray or make balls to bake for a fraction of the cost if you want to be thrifty! :)

Guest Waterdog66

No experience with Dogsbar, but if you want to go cheaper you can easily find peanut butter for humans with no salt, sugar, etc. Kraft even makes some. It is a lot cheaper here then the "specialty" stuff for dogs and basically the same thing. You can mix it with some of the ingredients in the Dogsbar (flax, molasses, rice, etc), flatten it down on a cookie tray or make balls to bake for a fraction of the cost if you want to be thrifty! :)

I wish I had the time. I tried doing my own energy stuff in the off season a few times but it was just not sustainable from a time perspective. Work, Training and Racing, Family + Hound just does not leave much time of anything else except eating and sleeping.

I guess that's why companies sponsor athletes.

Though less than $1 a bar for Clif Bars is pretty sweet! (are you a pro runner or pro triathlete?)

Yeah something like that ;)

I am a triathlete who also happens to be a fast runner.

Edited by Waterdog66

Guest chickenpotpie

I've gotten the cheap no salt, no sugar peanut butter at the grocery store. under ingredients it says 'peanuts' :hehe that works, plus is store brand and usually on sale 2 for 4.