What Are Your Secret Add Ins For Firming Up Poop!

Guest RMarie

Sorry the chips haven't held fast. We recently bought Iams green bag large breed (we were feeding Iams green bag mini-chunks). I assumed the formulas were the same, but they weren't. I could tell by James' poops, which were softer. BUT, after a few days, he adjusted to it and now has even firmer poops than he had on mini-chunks...sans chips! Iams + fortiflora works for us. Now, he only gets chips when mom and dad are snacking. :chow

Haven't checked for worms recently. Not since after our incident with rounds and hooks last November (possibly one of the grossest photos ever posted on greytalk!). He gets diatomaceous earth mixed into his food once a day which I'm hoping will prevent intestinal parasites. I've tried stopping the DE for a week to see if that's what was causing his poop to be soft, but it made no difference so now he's back on it.

Poops were beautiful, bouncy nuggets a day after starting Iams, but have since reverted to the usual difficult to pick up soft poos... but not quite as bad as before.

Guest RMarie

Are you feeding him anything else, like treats or snacks? If it's not worms or parasites, then he might just have a sensitive stomach. As much as we want to spoil James, he's got a sensitive tummy and we don't take liberties with what we feed him. Even one piece of the wrong kind of treat can undo good poops.

Guest joviemom

Changing my dogs food is what helped me.

I switched her to a lower fat, higher fiber food (Go! Duck Shine & Sensitivity). Worked wonders. Her poo was like pudding for months, one week on that stuff and she is completely firm! I did the transition really slowly and did the pumpkin for about 3 months after she was completely switched. Then I slowly got her off the pumpkin.

Thank you for all your suggestions. It seems that my dog might be sensitive to grains. A few tortilla chips or milkbone or two seem to be fine, but after 2 weeks of Iams green bag his poop was mushy and slimy. After switching to a grain free food, poops were immediately firmer - almost crumbly. Hopefully this keeps up as it has only been 2 days.

Guest Kaila

This is going to sound weird.. but I got a job for Stella & Chewy's (maker of freeze-dried and frozen raw dog/cat food), so I decided to try it for my dogs since I get a discount anyway. Zolie's poop has always been a little runny on a grain-free kibble (Fromm Game Bird), but never *horrible*. Anyway, a 1/2 patty of freeze-dried raw on top of each meal and her poop firmed right up. I think it's the ground bones? I've heard extra calcium can firm up stool (which is why stool hardeners like Fibercon contain calcium polycarbophil).

Guest FullMetalFrank

Ground flax seed. I started using it to boost the protein and fat content of Non's food a little, as he needed to put some weight on. Added bonus? Luxuriously shiny fur, firmer poops, and he loves it :-) I put 2 tablespoons on his kibble 2x a day. High in omega 3, too. I give Jewels one tbsp. on her food once a day; she doesn't need the xtra calories.

Guest Scarter55

Canned pumpkin has worked well for Lady. We also get this additive called Fruitables. It's basically canned pumpkin or sweet potato (depending on the flavor you get) with other ingrediants designed to add fiber.

If the pumpkin is turning the poop orange, I'd check the ingrediants. There actually isn't an official FDA definition of pumpkin so often the canned stuff is just random squash with orange dye added.