House Sitter

We went on vacation for the first time in three years which is how long we've had Tracker (not his fault, it just didn't happen). Tracker is very used to us being around most of the time.

So we got a house sitter. Tracker had only met her once for a few minutes a few weeks before we left. She reported on the second day that Tracker would whine as soon as she went somewhere in the house where he couldn't see her or readily hear her. He also peed, for the first time ever, in the house while she went outside to to farm chores. She called us and told us and I suggested she give him a treat whenever she was leaving the house and do a little alone training (just leave for a few minutes, come back, extend the time etc etc. This worked well, he never peed again, and while he never was super happy to see her leave (she was home most of the time), he developed the confidence that she wouldn't desert him, either.

So my question is: I assume this is pretty normal? He's my first dog and I don't have experience beyond him. I didn't even think he would worry about being left alone, because I figured he's still in his familiar home, and all the routines pretty much stayed the same, the only difference being the person. But clearly he felt differently. I also assume that would repeat itself with a different sitter. What's other people's experience been with this?

Edited by christinepi

As a pet sitter, I can tell you that most dogs act a little different when their owners are gone. They can get super clingy or even mopey. Some who are enthusiastic eaters won't eat or pick at their food. Some have accidents even if they normally don't. He should settle in after a few days and the more often you leave, the easier it will be on him. You have been his rock for 3 years, them you left him with a stranger. He was unsure.

Guest Gemma

As a pet sitter, I can tell you that most dogs act a little different when their owners are gone. They can get super clingy or even mopey. Some who are enthusiastic eaters won't eat or pick at their food. Some have accidents even if they normally don't. He should settle in after a few days and the more often you leave, the easier it will be on him. You have been his rock for 3 years, them you left him with a stranger. He was unsure.

Yup. As another pet sitter, I completely agree with this. :) I have met the bounciest happiest dogs in the world at the client meeting, only for them to become shy, terrified little things when their folks are gone and we're alone in the house. I've never sat for any dog who isn't effected by the absence of their owners in some way. It's often something small but it's not uncommon for a dog to have an accident or seem nervous.