Laryngeal Paralysis In An Almost 13 Year Old

Sorry it's taken me so long to update. Long story short Milky Way did not have the surgery. For those following our main vet didn't recommend surgery so we got a second opinion from a surgeon who wanted to take his case on. Well when I brought Milky Way in for his pre-surgery blood work and meeting he could barely stand up due to his hind end weakness and was generally a total mess, surgeon decided it was not in Milky Way's best interest to move forward with surgery for several reasons.

So the next day I met with my main vet and we upped his dosage of rimadyl and added in gabapentin. What a difference it has made in Milky Way's quality of life, he's standing for longer now, breathing is much better, and just generally happier. When Milky Way is at home he's totally fine and his breathing is fully under control. We have a no visitors policy in place and we are no longer taking in fosters to avoid any upset in routine(we occasionally foster very old dogs for our local shelter). We tried a walk a few days ago and it's to much but he can go potty out in the back yard, eat his food, and throw his toys in the house. He's happy for now and that is what is important.

Thank you so much to everyone for sharing all your thoughts and experiences. You all made me think and question and ask for a second opinion, I'm so glad I did even if it wasn't right for my boy, at least now I know for certain.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Ask your vet about Doxepin. My Sam is taking it. He started taking it before symptoms became really bad, so I don't know if he's doing well because of the drug or if it's just coincidental, but I do know he's not getting worse.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Ask your vet about Doxepin. My Sam is taking it. He started taking it before symptoms became really bad, so I don't know if he's doing well because of the drug or if it's just coincidental, but I do know he's not getting worse.

I second this recommendation. My Ringo was on it for almost a year and we lost him to probable lymphoma, not LP, at 12.5.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.