Suddenly Uninterested In His Meals

Fred, who is 6 years old and has been with me for about four months, has settled in beautifully and is a wonderful hound. But, after being an enthusiastic eater, since Friday evening he has shown little interest in his meals. There hasn't been any change in his diet for months now; same kibble, same add-ins, nothing has changed. The only thing I can think of is that he had the last doses of his Panacur March 3, 4 and 5; he had previously had doses of it in November and in December, I think, and this was the third of the three scheduled doses.

Otherwise he seems to be fine; happy to go on his walks, normal in his movements, loving his bully stick when he can get one.

Any ideas as to what could cause this? Is a vet visit in order?

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

It could be several things, if his stools are normal and he's not acting sick, he may be trying to get you to add some more excitement to his meals. This could lead to a very picky eater. If it's been 3 days though and he hasn't eaten at all, I'd have a vet do a quick check.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Fred is eating abut 1/2 to 3/4 of his bowl, whereas he used to lick his bowl clean without exception. So it's not the case that he isn't getting any nourishment at all; he is just eating much less than he used to. I could try changing the canned food that I moisten his kibble with tonight, and see if that helps, or I also have some sardines in olive oil that I could mix in. If the issue is that he is becoming a picky eater, then of course I am not terribly inclined to baby him too much. Thank you very much for your reply!

Abraham Lincoln

I wouldn't worry too much then. I have one who goes through spells where she eats about half of her food hoping I'll add something special to it and once she figures out that I'm not a Denny's, she starts eating it all again. We're going through that with her right now because I have a boy on home cooked kidney diet and she'd rather eat his than her own.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks for that reassurance! I don't want to spoil him, but he came to me seriously skinny and is finally at a good retirement weight; I would like to keep him there.

Abraham Lincoln

Well, it seems that boredom might have been the problem. Tonight I gave him a different canned food mixed in with his kibble (which I reduced by a half cup, since he had not been finishing) and a tin of sardines. He cleaned his bowl thoroughly -- so did his sister Kimba. Two very happy dogs! I'll try rotating the canned food every meal and see if that will be enough to keep him happy; we will not be doing sardines every night...

Abraham Lincoln

he came to me seriously skinny and is finally at a good retirement weight; I would like to keep him there.

This could be part of the issue too. Some dogs will self-regulate and not be quite as excited about their food once they're at a good weight (or sometimes a little overweight). Can you still the the last couple ribs, and the tips of his hip bones? If he's been gaining weight on the amount you're feeding, and you haven't changed that since he got to a good weight, it might be time to cut back just a little.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

That Fred might have decided he's plump enough now sounds very possible. I can see his last ribs, and his hip points, still, but he is much more solid than he was when he came. I have cut his 1 1/2 cups of kibble morning and evening down to 1 cup morning and evening, and he also gets a half can of wet food morning and evening, with a spoonful of yogurt and a spoonful of pumpkin. We'll see how he does on the lesser amount of kibble. Thank you for the good advice!

Abraham Lincoln