Helping A Grey Overcome Shyness

Guest Sportingfields

Remember that each life change is an adjustment. Luka was shy when he initially arrived into his foster home too. The biggest change now for Luka (as you know) is learning to adjust as a "single" dog for the first time ever in his life. Again, time will help. Many hounds live successfully as only dogs.

I'm so glad you were able to spend time in his previous foster home. I hope you were strongly encouraged by seeing a glimpse into Luka's personality in his familiar environment. Following you around as "his" person (in presence of other dogs) is a wonderful sign that Luka's becoming bonded to you as his new momma! :) He probably felt safer walking around there without having had scary slip incidents too. I'm very encouraged from your last post. :)

I would encourage you to invite another Greyhound friend over for temporary visits inside Luka's home. That could help increase his comfort level, by being doggie "host" in his home. Our first Grey was so reserved and didn't know how to play with toys... until our next foster arrived. The temporary foster quickly brought him out of his shell. I understand you may not be allowed overnight visitors, but maybe an afternoon hound visit would be permitted(?).

Answer to your cat question: I'd give Luka more time to adjust on his own first. We do have indoor only cats. (When sitting down, we usually have a cat in our laps.) If you decide to adopt a cat, I strongly recommend adopting an older cat well over 5-7 years old. (Cats can live into their mid teens - early 20s.) Although it's nice to have another living creature inside the home to help an "only" animal, our hounds don't love/snuggle with cats. They do tolerate them. Our current two kitties arrived under age 1. One cat has been "overly active" for our hounds' comfort for nearly 4 years now. Very young kittens can go crazy terrorizing hounds, pulling 6' tall plants over on dog beds, etc. Young, quickly darting kittens can be viewed as prey. We have a baby-gate installed about 5-6" above floor level as a cat escape route from hounds. (Our hounds were much happier with our senior cats.) Many other cat owners are on GT to chime in too...

Hope your live training sesson went well this weekend! :)

Guest greytmom_chi

Hi 3greytjoys, I always appreciate your greyt advice I can get here. Our training session went well. Many of the things were what I have learned when I hired her for Kei... but so easy to be away from the "basics" after three years. The biggest benefit I was able to get on that day was, I was able to be more confident as I could get the direct "guidance" from someone in person. It's been 4 days since the 1st training session --- I already see very positive improvement between Luka and I. Now we are doing some "fun" exercise & training at home and he now knows he does it before his meal/after our walk. I was able to ask many of my questions to the trainer in person, which was very helpful for me as well. Setting the commands and when he listens to me, praising with my happy welcoming voice are the thing I am doing the most right now - and I am gradually able to learn how to be a "leader." I know, it's still the beginning. I will meet the trainer two weeks later again. She tells me she could show me how to work car-ride challenge, too, next time.

Meanwhile, I have heard that group obedience class for only greyhounds is opening this week (every week, total 4 sessions). I took Kei to the class before, as well... they basically teach the hounds "Sit," "Leave It," "Wait," etc... basics which some things are definitely overlapped with what my personal trainer teaches us. I spoke with the (group obedience) trainer there about how Luka was doing, and she told me if the class would be less than 6 hounds then probably there would be a place for Luka and I, but then today the trainer emailed me the class is now 8 hounds. I am not sure, but just thinking of another place where Luka could interact with other greys, do you think it would be beneficial, or maybe it's too much? I know I should NOT do too many things at once... and now I also have my personal trainer, as well... but my intention is, whatever would be beneficial for Luka, I want to give it to him. What do you think?

Thank you also very much for your encouragement and great advice for the "cat" thing. Right- I first and foremost have to make Luka comfortable and confident as an only dog. You're so right - there are many people who have great relationship with their dog (as a only dog). Having daytime visitor at my place is not problem but in fact, taking him to my friends' is much easier than having my friends with their dogs... but I want to do my best as much as I can. I am also thinking to say Hi to local meet and greet so that Luka is able to "mingle" with other greys. I'm not sure how it goes.. but if he shows me uncomfortableness then we just can leave. Or maybe since you mentioned "foster" thing - once we settle more (may take a while, still), I probably would like to consider - like only-weekend foster, etc. I know it will be still ok for my neighbors and the condo building.

I will put sleep on about the cat. Quite honestly, I know I am not ready yet either... but just thinking of Luka if he feels "lonely" etc., I wanted to think about something for my sweet boy. It's interesting to know older cats would do well than younger ones. Well, anyway - this "potential future plan" would be put on hold for now.

Here is my sweet, gentle boy watching me while I was having my lunch...

IMG_4127_contrast_low_zps1708beb8.jpg

Guest KatyC

Happy Friday all... 3greytjoys, thanks much again for your response on the other day. The additional rugs have been making Luka's life easier than before, although what he does almost all day long is just laying on his bed in the living room. When I call him from my bedroom, then shortly after he comes. When calling his name, he turns his head to the direction. (still sometimes fails, though). This is the thing I have to say, "adjusting tiny bit by bit"… It's been 19 days since he came to my house. He likes his pieces of steak treats. I give them when I get home and when we get home from walk. I am not sure if that became a routine for him, but he takes it. I am trying to do everything gently and quietly but sometimes I can't, then he doesn't like it. He yawns, and licks around his mouth. Right, it's still too early to tell anything, I know, I know…

Car Ride- just because my living situation, so far only I can do (the easiest way) I am putting his two front legs on inside the car then I lift rest of his body and push him, then he moves into the car. Yes he's heavy but this solution is so far the most easiest way for me. I will try different thing when I will be able to get someone's help, etc. Yesterday I had to take him for a ride then I prepared boiled chicken for the reward. I didn't toss the chicken when he tried getting into (just I forgot) but he seemed to be happy to get the chicken afterwards. At least I am hoping this consistent "activity" will help for Luka to understand what "car ride" means.

Last night, I had to do a dog-sitter for my dear friends' greyhounds (they have 5). That house is actually where Luka lived before he came to my house! Luka seemed to be very happy to see them again. What really surprised me (well i probably should've expected but kinda a bit shocked :( ) was he showed me different self there. I know he still remembers there - and his friends. They have fenced yard so I took everyone to potty several times. Then their house rule is, after the potty everyone gets treat. Luka was one of them, eager to have the treat, with helicopter tail-wagging. I have never seen such "exciting" Luka yet at my house. (I gave him the treat first all the time. :) ) But good thing I realized was, as I make move - going somewhere in the house out of their sights, then Luka was the one who came to me and follows. While we were lounging, I called his name - and he looked at me. He must have been just, really happy to see them.

Obviously, he likes being with other greys (I think every single grey does). My current living situation doesn't allow to have more than 1 dog so far. Well, I think that is NOT what I should concern right now- I still really don't know how my relationship with Luka will progress, and how Luka will be able to open himself, right? Then, how about kitties? Have you guys have any experiences that kitties help greyhounds to open up their personalities? Or good story about living with grey with kitty?

The reason why I started thinking of this, and wanted to ask you were - at their house (my friends) they have several kitties living together with the greys. One of the kitties is so friendly and snugge-ly - I just so adore him. I was not a "kitty-person" and I didn't think I would be but now I am thinking if I will get that-type of kitty (loves humans, snuggles and want to be close to humans, etc) it would help our situation as well? Another thing is, he is able to get a companion, even though it would not be another greyhound...

I have no idea. If someone has something experience, or your opinion, I'd like to hear. Or maybe I just better stay with only Luka for now, at least until we will see something positive "breakthrough."

Tomorrow morning, we will have very first training session. I am looking forward to, at the same time, I am a kind of nervous. I just really hope Luka will not be too afraid of anything...

When we visit my parents house Peggy is far more confident and outgoing and seems so happy, because they my parents have a dog. They just seem to love to be with other dogs I think :) She copies what their big, bouncy, gentle giant of a dog does!! It's lovely to see :)

Peggy's a cow doggie too!

That photo is adorable! Seems that Luka is really beginning to come out of his shell fairly well (and much more confident feeling secure walking on rugs).

A quick hello to Greyhounds at a Meet and Greet would be fine; however, M&Gs can be a bit too much direct human sitmulation for new, shy dogs. It's often better to wait a bit longer before volunteering for an official "shift" until Luka is feeling more confident with you, and especially with strangers.

Too bad the GH group class is full, but probably just as well for you and Luka to continue taking baby steps from your personal trainer first.

Oops, I didn't mean to suggest that you foster. I was simply sharing one of our hounds' story. I only meant that it would be nice for you to invite a friend's confident, calm long retired Greyhound visitor over for an afternoon (or short term visit). I doubt if you need a brand new foster right now. ;) Another option is meeting another Greyhound owner friend for a Greyhound group walk.

You and Luka keep up the great work! :)

(Btw, once people post 50 times on Greytalk, they are also allowed to "private message" (PM) other members. A couple of forums don't count though, like Cute and Funny.)

Guest tnchelle

I can't add any advice to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I applaud the fact that you are so open to learning about your new Grey & how to help him become more acclimated to his new home.

I can tell by your posts & questions that you love him dearly & he is a very lucky pup to have you as his momma! :wub:

Guest greytmom_chi

Hello All (who are/were here...) Few updates about us :) First, Happy St. Pat's Day everyone. Luka is an Irish-American greyhound - now we have a greyt reason to celebrate the Green Day every year. :) Last weekend we participated the parade walk which the adoption group where I adopted Luka from, participated as a group every year. Luka had his "costumes" on with his friends - it was not a big parade but we had fun together.

Since last post I made, we have been having progress little by little, and day by day. Since the very 1st personal session, we've kept doing few very basic commands such as "move" "wait" "come"...commands and praise- and I've been keeping our daily routine schedule (walks and meals) strictly every day. Luka still doesn't like (and he may not like forever) sudden noises and sudden actions by me, but our house has very minimum of these noises and I believe he's been realzing it and making himself more comfortable. He welcomes me when I get home, with tail waggings (NO more "slippery" stories here - thank these rugs!)

Today we had our 2nd personal training session with the trainer: It's been two weeks since our 1st. The trainer reviewed the commands I've kept giving Luka - few corrections (which is good to know)- tried again, making sure them. We took Luka outside for a walk, and learned how to react to strangers/their dogs. I tended to "avoid" by crossing the street from these people/dogs. but now I should not do as it means I express somehow of my fear and Luka could read it. Rather, I show him "I am a leader," by protecting him from these (not people exactly but) dogs. since I had trauma with these stranger's dogs as Kei had bitten by a neighbor's dog (unleashed and unsupervised) and it turned to running to an emergency vet to get several serious stitches. After conversation with the trainer, I felt more comfortable and confident to do what she taught me today. On evening walk we saw few of dogs/walkers and I applied what I learned today - and it went well. Luka seemed to be more confident with what I did, as well.

Car ride - AT LAST I was able to make him getting the ride! The trainer showed me how to - all I should say is, Luka knew how to do already but he just decided not to do because I always "lifted" him. Trainer showed me, by using command, "Up!" Few of first trys, it seemed to be kinda "harsh" to me (as she was pulling him really hard), but he "climbed" onto the car first, then few more trys - he started jumping on. Trainer told me Luka (and most of greys) must've known as he did this before while he was transported track by track, but I just didn't make Luka to do so. He knew how to, and all I had to do was, let him do so with showing my leadership. Luka had many times of "Up" and "off" (as he gets off from the car). As he did Up, he got treats. He now knows what "Up" means. I will keep giving him practice at least once a day this coming week, but now I feel more confident about him and I appreciate the trainer what she's been teaching me and him.

Meanwhile, now medical issue was found on him, after our first vet checkup a week ago... I won't mention its detail here, but now he's taking a course of medication for that. I just really hope it will clear up after the medication. I am honestly still nervous (and any medical issues - I am always nervous; especially because I lost Kei with serious illuness), but I will try not to - I now am realizing more that I have a strong sense of responsibility to protect him and his life as a Mom and provide him the best care as much as I can. It must be really meant to be why I chose him and he chose me. It should be the thing you would realize more as time goes.

Oh well, our life journey still just has begun. I have been fond of my gentle giant boy more and more, and day by day. I believe that challenges and obstacles really make the bond stronger, unshakable and very special.

(3greytjoys thank you for telling me about the private message... well I still need more messages to be written then!)