Safe Jerky Treat Suggestions Please

Guest christine1223

I thought I was SAFE with USA high grade chicken jerky treats, but I was wrong. Last December, I bought a 3 pound bag directly from the company who makes Colorado Naturals called Nature's Deli. They are also sold at Petco. I had bought a lot of these same treats for a year. I started feeding my four greyhounds the treats around Christmas. All were fine before giving them them the treats. I gave them about a half strip a day with my older girl who is almost 12 a little bit more because she is finicky. I started having diarrhea off and on with all four. At first I thought they had picked up something and I treated them twice with flagyl and then wormed them and then gave them FortiFlora and other supplements. They had blood diarrhea off and on. I was getting really frustrated. I saw the recall for possible salmonella around Feb. 22nd. There was actually several warnings about possible salmonella contaimination before that about these treats, but I was in the process of moving and missed them. www.dogfoodadvisor.com. I called the company and the FDA. Had a long talk with the FDA and they want me to send the rest of the treats back to them and not the company (not much left in the bag). It has been 11 days since they had any of the treats and my oldest is doing better. She had been lethargic and not eating well. She will be 12 on March 15th. They are all back to normal now or so I hope. The FDA told me to be careful with any chicken jerky treats. Such a bummer!

So where are these CostCo treats ingredients coming from? Are you saying that you know they are from China?

I was speaking in general--this applies not only to treats but, to dog food too. Without sounding repetitive -just because its packaged in the USA and has an American flag on the package does not mean the ingredients are from the USA. You'll have to call Costco directly for information on their products. Edited by tbhounds

• 1 month later...
Guest Carsons_mom

I have used the Kingdom Pet Chicken Jerkey from Costco for years. It is made in China, but we have had no problems with it and the dogs love it.