Nasal Congestion

Anyone deal with nasal congestion in their dogs? Buster is sniffling and sneezing, with some clear discharge, otherwise seems totally normal.

I'm going to try some benadryl tonight, but any other thoughts? He's set to go into the vet for his annual next week anyway, so I was going to wait to bring it up then.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I've had experience with daily "reverse sneezing" with a little clear discharge that did not come on suddenly. One of our Greyhounds arrived into retirement with it. I finally diagnosed it as "nasal mites" about 6 months later. Treated successfully per Merck Veterinary Manual (on-line). Local vets were not familiar with it since it's uncommon in the area. That poor hound was miserable during those early months.

If no pawing at nostrils, I'd assume it's not a foreign body (seed, etc.)

Maybe others will offer more help...

He's not done any reverse sneezing - all "regular" sneezing and he sounds stuffed up. He will sniffle, just like someone would with a cold. No pawing at the nose, or anything that would make me think it's something stuck up there.

He is in good spirits and playing and eating and all that. I was wondering if it's allergies of some sort, but the benadryl didn't seem to help at all.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

It seems unusual for dogs to have sneezing as an allergy symptom. (Note that is "unusual" not "impossible".) If it didn't improve dramatically with Benadryl I would be getting him to the vet Monday. Keep an eye out for any increase in symptoms. My though is that there is something in the nasal passages somewhere causing irritation.

We did have a dog who sneezed profusely when excited. As it happened consistently & only when excited we never sought vet treatment. Although we did manage to put it on command to amaze our friends. Look at dog, say "Achoo!" & *voila* dog sneezes. :) Yeah, I know that didn't help you but it made me smile remembering Cajun.