Sitting

Guest jschwe

So DH and I weren't planning on teaching Superbird to sit, but after watching him do it spontaneously a few times, we figured why not! He seems to be ok with it.

Luckily, he is pretty much food obsessed and so once he figured out there was a treat in it, he caught on pretty quick. The thing is, when he sits, its like he does it in slow motion. He EVER SO CAREFULLY lowers his butt to the floor. Don't get me wrong, its hilarious, but I am wondering if there is a 'way' to teach him to sit a bit quicker, or is that something that'll come with time? Either way, super excited that Bird has decided to learn to sit for us!

My greyhound has known "sit" for years, but she still goes down more slowly than most dogs most of the time. Unless she's sitting to bribe me for a treat. ;) I do think it really has to do with the intrinsic mechanics of folding up the greyhound body. :)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Since he's already sitting on his own, the easiest way is to start with him in a down (sphinx) position, then slowly lure him up into a sit. Take the treat in front of his nose and lure him up. When his butt touches the floor, give him the treat. The trick is to do it slow and move the treat back. If you just bring it straight up, he'll most likely go into a stand. After he gets used to the motion, you can start asking him to sit from a stand. The more you practice it with him, the more fluid and fast the sit will be. But be prepared that while many greys readily sit for treats, it's difficult to get them to hold the sit for more than a couple seconds. It just doesn't seem to be the most comfortable position for them.

Teaching him a sit from a down when he already does a sit from a stand is not going to get him sitting from a stand in a quicker motion.

FWIW it is easier for greys to sit on a hill facing downwards, and that's a good way to teach them or practice if you are trying to get them to sit on cue. I discovered this by accident when I was first working with Beth and learned later an experienced greyhound trainer uses this method as well. But again, we have been in many obedience classes and practiced sits endlessly and Beth is still somewhat slower in her sit motion than other-breed dogs. Practice will help if he's just getting it, but chances are he'll never be fast.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Do you do clicker training? If so, the way to get any action to happen faster is to only click when it happens faster. If it currently takes 10 seconds to sit, you click and treat for sits that happen in 9.5 seconds. Then 9 seconds. Then 8 seconds, etc. If you are clicking and rewarding for 9 seconds, and it takes 10 to sit, no click, no reward.

But I would also practice the slow way first, just to be sure that it's not a matter of the dog wondering if "sit" is really what you want him to do. Once you know that he knows the command, and can do it in multiple places, then you can work on speed. Upping the value of the reward is also likely to increase the speed that he does it at.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry would sit all the time on his own in front of the person her wanted an ear scratch from. He did learn to do it on command after he understood what a treat was. He can't hold it very long as his butt is no where near the ground and his front legs short to shake. But that helped with "down" over time.

Oops *start to shake*

Guest cwholsin
Do you do clicker training? If so, the way to get any action to happen faster is to only click when it happens faster. If it currently takes 10 seconds to sit, you click and treat for sits that happen in 9.5 seconds. Then 9 seconds. Then 8 seconds, etc. If you are clicking and rewarding for 9 seconds, and it takes 10 to sit, no click, no reward.

But I would also practice the slow way first, just to be sure that it's not a matter of the dog wondering if "sit" is really what you want him to do. Once you know that he knows the command, and can do it in multiple places, then you can work on speed. Upping the value of the reward is also likely to increase the speed that he does it at.

Yep! This!

I've noticed that my Batman sits very slowly and carefully on hard surfaces, but quicker on carpet. I've also noticed that his sits have firmed up over time. I think they have to develop muscle tone or something.

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Thanks guys! I think you're probably right that he is still kind of unsure. It was just the other day that he did it without us having to "show" him. It's so exciting to see him getting it! Hopefully after time he'll get better :)

The sit may never be as easy for a greyhound as for most other breeds, but the more practice they get, the quicker and more natural the motion will become. Incorporate it into your daily routine in addition to training sessions. Ask him to sit before he gets a treat and before you feed him. Keep treats handy and ask him to sit at random times and different locations.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg