Darford Zero/g Kibble - Disappearing From Suppliers?

I adopted Fred on October 29 from Forever Home Greyhound Adoptions, Inc. in Middleburg, New York. He is such a wonderful, affectionate, darling dog -- I cannot say enough good things about him. The President of Forever Home Greyhound Adoptions, Paula LaPorte, told me that Fred had been eating Darford Zero/G kibble, which is donated by the manufacturer to their adoption group, and she gave me some samples to take home with Fred. I've had greyhounds since 2003, and have tried several different kibbles over the years; Kimba, who came to us in July 2012 eats ProPlan Select Salmon and Brown Rice, and does very well on it. But I wanted to keep Fred on the food he was used to, and since it seems to be a very high quality food, thought I might transition Kimba to the Darford Zero/G when she starts coming to the end of her stored ProPlan.

Now, however, I am finding it impossible to buy the Darford on line; there are no stores that supply it in Southern New York State. I was ordering it from PetFood Direct; they are out of stock; a number of other online pet food companies that used to stock it no longer do; I placed an order with Pawtastic Pets, and they later notified me that they could not get it from their supplier and that they thought the company, which is in Canada, was having problems importing the food into the U.S. I finally found a company that says they have some in stock, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the kibble will arrive safely and soon. If I am not going to be able to stay with the food, I'd like to have enough to transition Fred gradually.

Does anyone have any information about what is actually going on with Darford?

And, does anyone have a recommendation for a grain free kibble that Fred could try instead?

Many thanks!

Terry

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

I like Acana and Orijen both made by the same company and both have grain free diets. I am using the Lamb and Apple by Acana, but it does have steel cut oats. The Orijen has much more protein content, so it depends on the dog.

I was looking on dogfoodadvisor.com and I see that Darford went into receivership October 24, 2012. Here is the link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/darford-international-inc-announces-receivership-213600188.html

I guess we have to find a new kibble fast! I will read up on Orijen for starters.

Terry

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

I also have high praise for Acana...I tried it after a lot of people said it agreed with their pups. I have tried a lot of grain free foods and by far this was the most successful in the poop department :P (some formulas have grains some don't). It is made from the same company as Orijin, but Orijin didn't work out well for us. It is expensive, but there are no ingredients from China (VERY rare in dog food) and I think I trust them about as much as I would trust any dog food company.