Fleas And Ticks!

Guest badderh

Guest badderh

So I just got my first foster this past week, yay! He is such a sweetheart but I feel so bad for him because it looks like he's has some pretty nasty fleas and ticks.

So far what I've done is I have applied some frontline that the rescue group gave me, I've given him a bath, gave him a heartworm med that also kills fleas, and then when he kept itching I gave him a bath in dawn dishsoap so that I could try and kill more of the fleas.

I think I've gotten the flea part almost under control now, and the itching hasn't been nearly as bad as day 1, but the ticks just have death grip on him. I have pulled off 12 ticks so far and I found some more ticks on him today.

Is there a way to kill these things without having to pull every last one off? Every time I think I've gotten them all it just seems like I find more. I want them gone and I'm sure he'd love them gone as well!

Oh and I should include a picture of the cute little guy as well I suppose, We've nicknamed him Loki. :P

u9snyl.jpg

When did you give him a bath? I don't usually bathe 48 hours before or after using frontline.

I also give capstar and that kills fleas within 1/2 an hour.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

You probably will need to remove the ticks by hand. The Frontline should kill them (if it was Frontline Plus), but you'll have to do the removal. If you see more fleas, try Capstar (a pill that will kill them within an hour); it's no good with ticks, but great for fleas.

No more baths for a while. They'll be drying out his skin (esp. the Dawn); give him a little extra fish oil in his food to balance this out.

And find a comb with very fine teeth. Have a nice little "bonding" session where he relaxes while you comb him out from stem to stern, hunting for attached ticks on him. You'll both feel better once the ticks are gone.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You should probably keep an eye out for tape worm from the fleas and check him every few days for more fleas that would have hatched.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest badderh

When did you give him a bath? I don't usually bathe 48 hours before or after using frontline.

I also give capstar to give fleas within 1/2 an hour.

I applied the frontline the day we got him and the following day I gave him a bath. The frontline looked like it had been absorbed all the way and the Shampoo I used was "flea drop friendly". I only got 1 dose of the frontline for him from the rescue group, So I don't have anymore frontline to give him right now. But I do have Parastar that I got from my vet for my other pup. Should I give him a half dose of the Parastar to be on the safe side?

I also give capstar to give fleas within 1/2 an hour.

I applied the frontline the day we got him and the following day I gave him a bath. The frontline looked like it had been absorbed all the way and the Shampoo I used was "flea drop friendly". I only got 1 dose of the frontline for him from the rescue group, So I don't have anymore frontline to give him right now. But I do have Parastar that I got from my vet for my other pup. Should I give him a half dose of the Parastar to be on the safe side?

I would do any more doses until it's been a month, just to be on the safe side.

I don't use Frontline on my hounds but my fosters all get it.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17