Fce - Fibrocartilaginous Embolism

Guest GenetJen

Oh no, not Maya too! I am so sorry to hear this. What a shock this must be for you.

I hope you can get her pain managed for a while longer so that you don't have to make any decisions just yet.

Hugs to all of you.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest GenetJen

This is horrible. I'm up tonight just bawling over my sweet girl.

Went to another vet Saturday. I wanted another opinion about Maya's options. I guess I thought I'd get a different diagnosis/better prognosis. She pretty much echoed the first vet's sentiments and agreed that palliative care was our best option given Maya's age, weight loss and other factors.

I want to thank you guys for your recommendations of Gabapentin. The second vet took her off the prednisone. I'm giving her tramadol more often (50 mg every 6 hrs), along with rimadyl and gapabentin. She also recommended laser therapy. I was hesitant as it seemed like it couldn't do much, but she offered the first treatment for free to see if I saw a difference. http://www.litecure.com/companion/ It lasted about 25 minutes and she certainly didn't mind it. That night she was bouncing around like she hadn't in a month. I can't say for sure if it was all the laser's doing or the addition of the Rimadyl at that point (hadn't given first does of Gabapentin yet). The last two days she's definitely been perkier. It makes me happy, but also made me realize that she probably had been in more pain than I thought. :( She's eating better, so we're going to see where the increased meds take us. I'm also considering another laser session.

Anyway, just wanted to update this thread and let you guys know I do appreciate you, even if I don't get on here every day. Thank you.

Guest patterpaws

Thank you for keeping us updated, you and Maya are in my prayers. Struggling with the same things over here, this is agony. :grouphug

I hope Maya continues on the path of feeling better with the pain medicine and laser treatments. I hope you are able to take care of yourself too, this is a very difficult time. :cry1