Picky Raw Eater

Guest Norzy

Guest Norzy

Hello!

I am just starting my grey on a raw-ish diet (1 raw meal + 1 kibble meal daily). I'm starting with chicken because I hear that is the easiest protein to transition to. My question is I recently bought some chicken quarters and my grey seems to not really like them! He will eat wings, drumsticks, turkey necks, organ meats and eggs, but he turns his nose up at the quarters! And the meat is fresh - no funny smell or color. I also ended up chopping it up into 3 pieces because I thought maybe it was too big to eat but that didn't help any. He just sniffed it and then snubbed it. Any insight for me? I'll also take any advice/direction you guys have to offer as a beginner raw feeder!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Norzy

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Greyhounds are few beef at the track and farms and your dog may just not like chicken all that much, also the beef they are fed is ground so you may just have a lazy eater who doesn't want to chew.

If I feed leg thawed leg quarters my girl usually won't eat them, so I simply sear the skin on the grill for a minute while they are frozen solid. Then it disappears quickly :)

Many experienced raw feeders here that will have good suggestions for you.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest greybookends

Welcome to my world. Check to see if the legs are left or right! :lol

This is an on going battle between Bill and I. One of the first things I found that worked was feeding him once a day. He WILL NOT eat in the morning. Sometimes I just have to leave him alone for a while until he decides to eat. I put him and his food in a crate. I have others who are not shy about helping him with his dinner. I am a bad one for giving any real good advice. Bill has me wrapped right around his paw and he knows it. Sprinkle a little garlic powder on it and seer it. Sometimes the odor will get him started. Sometimes if I can just get him to take a few bites from my hand it is just enough to get his digestive juices flowing and he'll continue on his own. Sometimes nothing works, he goes hungry and he eats the next day. He's happy and healthy, He's just picky.

Then while you're waiting for him to eat have a good chuckle at my expense.http://forum.greytal...ner +with +bill :lol all of the original breakfast with Bill posts are mingled in there with the new dinner with bill thread.

Good luck I hope you fare better then I do.

Also I would not feed chicken wings to a full size grey. They are to small and they are more likely to be swallowed whole. Turkey wings are fine.

Edited by greybookends

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I have this problem too... two of my dogs will inhale raw at any time, in any form. A third will eat it fairly well, if it's broken up. The other two (whom I most want to eat it, naturally) are picky. I don't know the solution, but once a day feeding does help a little.

Some dogs don't like the chicken smell if they aren't used to it, but if he is okay with drumsticks and wings the smell may not be what is turning him off. It could be the piece is too big, even though I know you chopped it up. A few things I have tried to entice picky dogs is to buy the dehydrated liver treats. I rub them all over the meat and then break a few up and put pieces under the skin which forces them to start licking or chewing to get it out. Sometimes this is just enough to give them a taste and get them going. You can also buy a liver powder or grind the treats up and sprinkle with that (you could do the same thing with canned tripe but it would be kind of gross!) Another thing that sometimes works is to put the quarter in a bowl with things he does eat. Sometimes once they get on a role they will just pick up everything and eat it without noticing. If that doesn't work, maybe searing it would entice him.

Good luck!

Guest k85trb

I started Diesel with ground beef patties. In the beginning he was a picky eater too. In order to get him to try something new it had to be presented with beef, otherwise he would sit in his crate and cry.