Aaargh -- Hookworms Again! Trying Safe-Guard

Guest Vers

Guest Vers

My hounds have hooks AGAIN. I've spent so much money on Panacur and Drontal. They're on Revolution and Heartguard Plus monthly, they were apparently clear of hoooks for months and yet here we are again. We don't have a yard, and walks are mostly on pavement. Bedding is cleaned regularly. The *@%#%!

So, the Safe-Guard for goats arrived this evening (same med as Panacur, but less costly per dose). But how in heck do I give it effectively? For Simba's size, it's a 20 ml dose per day; I filled a syringe the proper amount. It's a LOT. And apparently it doesn't taste good at all. Fortunately, I tried giving it to him out on the deck -- and then I had to rinse the deck down. Stella's dose is smaller, and she's easier, so it went a bit better with her, but still... not so smooth and likely not quite the full dose.

How do I give this to them effectively? Tips and tricks? I used a syringe, pointed it to the side back of the mouth, and had a liver treat ready for each of them after the dose tonight, and Stella didn't even want he treat. Please help me find a way to dose them successfully and effectively without them hating it the whole time?

Tips for preventing hookworms also welcome. We don't have a yard, we leash walk in a two or three mile radius around home.

Hookworms migrate through the body in more advanced cases, not just the intestines, and go dormant and encase themselves in cysts, from which they emerge when they feel like it or something prompts them to do so. (It doesn't matter whether you have a yard or not.) So we have this problem with our Spencer, and finally hit on the solution of giving his monthly wormer (Interceptor) every three weeks instead of every four. That helps, since the reproductive cycle of hooks is apparently three weeks. Even so, we give a couple doses of Drontal two or three times a year.

I'm sorry I can't offer more help. It's easier, though, when you understand that some cases of hooks are what I call semi-permanent. It's only the expectation of permanent banishment of hooks that leaves one frustrated. Hope someone else can help with the problem of dosing the liquid.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest 2dogs4cats

Worms and dogs just go together. I have no idea where those things come from either! How often do you de-worm? Maybe you just need to do it more often for a bit. Every 6 months seems to work for me, but maybe you should try every 4 or 5 months. Also, I give the powder form in some canned food and they don't seem to know it's even there. I never tried the liquid, but maybe mix it in some canned food? Good luck!

Guest Vers

Greyhead, you're thinking much like I am. Stella came home with a heavy load of hooks, and we've been fighting them ever since. I do think they're encysted, but my vet blames environment. In either case, every time I think I have them beat, like in the winter months, they show up again. That's why they're doubled up on Revolution (given on the 1st) and Heartguard (given on the 15th and was Interceptor until this year's shortage -- any idea where to get Interceptor? They had a good run on that).

Starbuck, thank you for the suggestion; Simba ate his dose in Greek yogurt tonight and finished it all. Stella still had to be syringed.

2dogs4cats, I usually only give dewormer when there's obvs. a problem and a fecal is done, since they're already on two preventatives. That seems to turn out to be three or four times a year, though, dosed appropriately for 3-5 days and again three weeks later.

Fairly certain there's still a better way to give Safe-Guard if anyone using it is reading this.

Gah! Hookworms -- hates 'em!