Blood In Stool

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

I've been stalking the forums for a while, but this is my first post! I've recently adopted a greyhound, Sir Dudley ("CL Snow Beast") (my first dog) in February. He's a rowdy almost three year old who has no known health problems. He did eat a rawhide twist treat for small dogs at my parents house, stole it from their dog. He broke it up and pretty much swallowed it in chunks.The vet doesn't think it's tearing up his intestines. Yesterday when I took him out after work he had a large amount of blood in his stool, took him to the e-vet who wasn't overly concerned after the exam, no parasites or tummy pain. He sent me home with anti-diarrheal medication and some canned gastro food. I withheld Dudley's dinner and breakfast. He didn't go #2 again until a couple of hours ago, and it was gloopy and seemed like it had really dark blood. Dudley ate his bland food heartily. The vet did say that if he throws up I need to bring him back to the hospital, and he did throw up, but I think it's because I was too rough pilling him (I really got my hand down there!) Should I just be on watch mode? I'm just so worried about him :( Any one have any experience with this kind of thing?

560289_3223192574105_1095180183_32524600_251579528_n.jpg

Welcome to GT! :welcome Sir Dudley is a handsome boy!

Did the vomiting happen very soon after the pilling? Because I've never heard of pilling, however rough, causing vomiting. And I might take the vet's instruction to come back seriously, at least insofar as calling in to them and reporting it to see what they say. I'd take this kind of thing seriously. But I'm a bit of a worry-wart when it comes to stomach/intestinal issues.

There's a lot of experience here, and hopefully people will jump in and offer other thoughts. I doubt parasites are causing that much bleeding, but IMO all adopters need to understand the limits of fecal tests. Not all equipment is equal in its ability to detect, and nothing will be detected unless the worms are in the egg-shedding part of their life cycle. So a negative fecal doesn't mean they don't have worms. (We would have been spared a lot of grief if we'd understood that from the beginning and repeated the test at more frequent intervals.) I don't like the sound of the dark, gloppy poop, but I have no experience with what happens when rawhides are swallowed in chunks.

New people are usually too guarded to post this info as soon as they join GT, but if you share where you are in general, people may be able to point you in the direction of a vet that will take things more seriously...if needed. By "in general" I mean at least the N, S, E or W part of which state, lol!

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Blood in stool usually indicates an inflamed colon - colitis.

This most likely has be brought on by the rawhide- can I assume your vet dispensed metronidazole??

So long as he's not urgent and having accidents nor is vomiting I would think this should resolve within a few days.

Obviously if he starts to become more symptomatic he needs to be re-evaluated.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Thanks for the advice, I called about the vomiting/glop and brought him for a quick check, the vet is still pretty confident that nothing too serious is going on, and judging by Dudley's current rambunctious behavior, he seems to be feeling better. Yes, the vet prescribed Metronidazole, a tablet and a 1/2 twice a day (500mg). I just hate feeling like a bad mom :(

5.jpg

Guest peacehound

blood in the stool is scary isn't it? Peace had it once, when we traveled out of state for my father-in-laws funeral. I assumed it was from all the stress and the change in routine. I took her to my sister's vet and after two days of the metronidazole, she cleared right up and hasn't had it since then...good luck with your new precious hound, he is adorable!

You did the right thing, and no way are you a bad mom! Glad you have the medicine and that rambunctiousness has ensued! :lol

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Clawsandpaws

blood in the stool is scary isn't it? Peace had it once, when we traveled out of state for my father-in-laws funeral. I assumed it was from all the stress and the change in routine. I took her to my sister's vet and after two days of the metronidazole, she cleared right up and hasn't had it since then...good luck with your new precious hound, he is adorable!

I cried in the vet's office for a good 30 minutes =/ I was pretty traumatized! I've only had one pet, my cat, since college, and although I love her, it's not the same as the bond I have with my Dud!

Welcome- so sorry to meet you because of a scare like this! Thank you for understanding the Rules, though, and posting pictures of the most-handsome Sir Dudley!

We look forward to more postings about how he's doing over the next few days. Any more vomiting since that first event?

and if you're worried about pilling Sir Dudley in the future, a little peanut butter will probably having him literally eating out of the palm of your hand (unless of course, the medication needs to be taken without food)