Does Anyone Know About Purina?

Guest masa

:lol :lol Sorry for laughing.... well, not really. I'm still fairly new compared to some of you all, but I can read, current and historical posts, and this is soooo not a new subject, and when I read the first couple of comments after the initial post, it struck a funny bone.

IMO, and short of empirical facts, food recommendations are based on our own preferences for our dog(s), not what is necessarily the *best* food because honestly, do we really know what is best? (And no, I don't trust the FDA -- they can't do a good job for people how can they do a good job for animals?)

To graybookends: Thanks for writing such a graceful post. It was perfect!

We can hope that pet parents do the best they can for their Greyhounds but what is best for me isn't going to be best for you or the next person. And what works today may not work tomorrow (trust me on this one.. Annie Bella is just coming out of an intestinal issue that started for no known reason).

Regarding Purina products: When Annie Bella started with the formed softer stools (a problem she hasn't had since shortly after adopting her last July), which deteriorated into non-formed soft serve, I tried Purina One Smartblend based upon the recommendation of another poster on another topic here on GT. It didn't do the trick, but she loved it...so much so that she didn't want anything else, to the point where even the bland chicken and rice diet wasn't fulfilling to her palate.

Long story short, the vet put her on the prescription Purina (oh my a Purina product) EN Gastroenteric kibble. I am mixing it with her usual Iams Proactive Health Minichunks. Within one meal -- from last night's supper to this morning's breakfast -- her stool has improved 100%. Was it chance? The 'script food? Sheesh, with Greyhounds who really knows?

Anyway, to the OP, go with your gut...whatever works for your dog.. and as someone suggested make sure you're reading current info regarding issues with dog food. Nothing is ever removed from the Internet, so articles about recalls from years ago are still out there.

BTW, I suspect Annie Bella will spend the rest of her life on a 'script dog food mixed with a bit of something more tasty. My adoption group highly recommends a food out of Canada called Darford. ::sigh:: Like I need another recommendation. I mean seriously, doesn't this just drive us all a bit batty? I'll try it but....

Little Miss Winkie will be 13 in July and has been happy and healthy on her Purina One or Exceed (Sam's Club) or Kirkland feed. All have basically the same ingredients and we have no difficulties switching between the 3.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest june

In spite of so many poo-pooing (pardon the pun) Iams green bag my girls have been successfully eating it for years. They are healthy and happy, their coats are soft (always getting astonished comments about how soft they are) their eyes are bright, their poos are solid. I can afford to feed it so that is what they get. If my circumstances changed and I had to change foods I would.

I have a friend who has 7 rescued dogs. She mostly takes dogs nobody else would want; not dogs that are aggressive, but most were overly shy, scared dogs that would cower in the back of a run and eliminate if you even looked at them. All of these dogs have thrived in her care. She feeds her dogs Pedigree and all of her dogs are happy, healthy and have beautiful coats. I would never tell her that the dog food she is feeding is no good. In fact, I've often thought maybe I should try it.

Edited to add; her dogs are not greyhounds, but a variety of breeds from terriers to two rough coated collies.

Edited by june