Comfortis And Interceptor

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

I never used comfortis before. We give interceptor every month can i give comfortis with interceptor? I heard the 2 dont mix well. We are trying comfortis this yr for fleas due to nothing else is working.

Edited by 8_Greyt_Greys

Interceptor and Comfortis are fine to use together, although if you're not sure, you should check with your vet. Both are prescription products that should be used under your vet's direction anyway.

I find it odd you would have heard that the two don't mix well as the new product Trifexis is essentially Comfortis and the same active ingredient in Interceptor combined into 1 tablet. If you decide to stay with Interceptor and Comfortis, talk to your vet about Trifexis. It would save you money to switch.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest SiGuy

Interceptor and Comfortis are fine to use together, although if you're not sure, you should check with your vet. Both are prescription products that should be used under your vet's direction anyway.

I find it odd you would have heard that the two don't mix well as the new product Trifexis is essentially Comfortis and the same active ingredient in Interceptor combined into 1 tablet. If you decide to stay with Interceptor and Comfortis, talk to your vet about Trifexis. It would save you money to switch.

I use Trifexis on my mixed breed and am wondering if I can also give it to my new greyhound. It works so well and is so much cheaper than buying multiple meds. If Comfortis and Interceptor are ok to give together, Trifexis should be fine as well, right? I'm just concerned because of everything I'm reading about toxins building up because the hounds can't filter the medicine as quickly. My vet says it will be fine for him and everything on here seems to say it's ok but I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Guest PiagetsMom

I've always heard that it's better to not give the Comfortis and the heartworm med (we use Heartgard) at the same time, but to spread them out some. :dunno

I've been using the Comfortis without any issues (other than the fact that the pups hate it, and I have to crush and mix with potted meat to get them to eat it), and at the last vet appt the Trifexis was recommended, for convenience and cost. My vet, who treats many of the GPA pups in our area, didn't have a problem with using it for greyhounds. I'm still undecided as to whether or not to make the switch, but I'll be watching this thread for other's imput.

Guest twoskinnydogs

I use Interceptor and Comfortis, I do wait a week after the Interceptor before giving the Comfortis.....just a personal preference. Never have any problems or fleas :colgate

Trifexis is fine to use in greyhounds. I've used it for my own as well as my fosters with no problems. In terms of drug interactions or absorption, there's really no reason to give flea and heartworm medication on separate days. If you're worried about a reaction, giving them separately can help distinguish which of the 2 caused a problem. But side effects are pretty rare, and once your dogs been on both products for a couple months with no problems, chance are they'll be fine getting them together.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest trevdog

We just started using it here, never had fleas until now. Vet told me it was fine to use them together. We are now on Triflexis and other than the pups having to have it shoveled down their throats as it smells awful, it seems to be helping.