Friend's Grey Growling

Guest Fruitloop

Guest Fruitloop

In my neighborhood there’s another greyhound owned couple that we walk with. They have an issue that I hope someone here can help with.

Their greyhound which they’ve had for 7 months has some space aggression associated to her dog bed. The couple is aware of this, understands the growling and possible air snap (I’ve never seen it - just going off of what they describe) and deals with it by not touching her on her bed. Their dog also growls at other dogs if they come up to her too fast and during nail clipping.

Once after the husband was petting the dog on her belly for a while she growled at him and a night ago at a walk at a park after the dog jumped up, tail wagging, to greet a friend of a friend (stranger to the dog) she growled at him after he had been stroking her back for a bit. It’s the unpredictable growling after seemingly inviting touch that’s troubling them. The wife has started to become fearful.

Their dog is fine with Fruity but growls at other greyhounds upon meeting. When she comes over to my house she’s more interested in marking the entire perimeter of the yard and anywhere Fruity’s been peeing than actually playing with Fruity. Fruity is more interested in playing with the new people in the yard. Play date FAIL!

I’ve been showing them how to clicker train their dog to at least get some basic commands down. The husband says that he feels their dog is responding to him better now that they have started some training. She’s still not responding to the wife. I’ve never heard of aggression after initially being ok with petting in a dog but I’ve experienced it lots with cats :dunno .

They do not correct her for any growling, I think they just back off. I have only seen them try to correct her when she jumps up on people she meets by pulling her leash back and then somewhat pleasantly saying “no jumping!” The message isn’t getting across and I am wondering if their dog is just testing them and pushing her boundaries.

Any ideas as to what’s going on or what they can do about it?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Your description is understandably vague. Without more information, I wouldn't even begin to wager a guess. You need to get very specific information as to what immediately led up to the growling. I can pretty much guarantee you that there are signals that are being missed (subtle such as licking of lips, whale eye, etc.) which is causing the anxiety. You also seem to have multiple questions/issues. You say later in your post about the dog not responding to the wife.

With the hound being in the house for 7 months, it could possibly be the hound testing its boundaries, but then again, it could be something that has happened (slightly traumatic) that has made the hound fearful of certain situations/persons. The way you describe the hound, he growls for no reason at anyone or anything.

I would suggest you tell the person to contact the group they adopted from and explain what is going on. They need to take care of this before it gets any worse. They obviously don't understand the situation (not meant as an insult, just an observation). If they didn't adopt from a group, tell them to open an account here and post very specific occurrences so there can be some constructive ideas thrown around.

Chad

1. Vet check.

2. Call a behaviorist in for a home visit.

I would also encourage the owners to not allow strangers or strange dogs to approach their dog on walks until they are able to have the situation assessed.

Guest verthib

In my neighborhood there’s another greyhound owned couple that we walk with. They have an issue that I hope someone here can help with.

Their greyhound which they’ve had for 7 months has some space aggression associated to her dog bed. The couple is aware of this, understands the growling and possible air snap (I’ve never seen it - just going off of what they describe) and deals with it by not touching her on her bed. Their dog also growls at other dogs if they come up to her too fast and during nail clipping.

Once after the husband was petting the dog on her belly for a while she growled at him and a night ago at a walk at a park after the dog jumped up, tail wagging, to greet a friend of a friend (stranger to the dog) she growled at him after he had been stroking her back for a bit. It’s the unpredictable growling after seemingly inviting touch that’s troubling them. The wife has started to become fearful.

Their dog is fine with Fruity but growls at other greyhounds upon meeting. When she comes over to my house she’s more interested in marking the entire perimeter of the yard and anywhere Fruity’s been peeing than actually playing with Fruity. Fruity is more interested in playing with the new people in the yard. Play date FAIL!

I’ve been showing them how to clicker train their dog to at least get some basic commands down. The husband says that he feels their dog is responding to him better now that they have started some training. She’s still not responding to the wife. I’ve never heard of aggression after initially being ok with petting in a dog but I’ve experienced it lots with cats :dunno .

They do not correct her for any growling, I think they just back off. I have only seen them try to correct her when she jumps up on people she meets by pulling her leash back and then somewhat pleasantly saying “no jumping!” The message isn’t getting across and I am wondering if their dog is just testing them and pushing her boundaries.

Any ideas as to what’s going on or what they can do about it?

My previous boxer and my current male grey did/do not like to be petted, rubbed, touched repeatedly in the same area. I think it might be over stimulating. I've had cats like that too. I'd say if the dog invites the patting and attention do it but just shorten the time. Pat or rub for 30 seconds instead of minutes. I rub Angus in short 'bursts' giving him breaks.

Edited by verthib

I'm probably completely off on this one, but I wanted to at least put it out there. My grey started "happy growling" when petted a few months after we got him. The first time he did that (this is my first dog) it totally startled me and I thought I had done something wrong and he'd bite me next! But he just goes kooky, growling and dancing around. It doesn't sound like that's what your friend's dog is doing, but it's a thought--it sure threw me when Tracker did it for the first time.

Edited by christinepi