2Nd Grey Is A Barker...

Guest elika326

Guest elika326

Around Labor Day we added a 2nd grey to our household. Our first grey is named Python and she will be 8 years old this month, our new grey is named Rose and she turned 2 in October. Rose never raced and was EXTREMELY shy/timid/scared when we adopted her (wouldn't take food from your hand, would wedge herself in corner areas where she couldn't be snuck up on, would shy away from people) but has come along beautifully.

The one thing that she still does that is kind of problematic is that she is a barker. I am guessing it's a puppy thing but I'm not sure how to discourage it. Usually it is something like when I come home from work or get ready to go somewhere on the weekends (or in the morning) that she barks and gets a little hyper, tail waggy and playful.

The thing is that my husband works nights (and I'm on 9-5pm) so when I come home from work he's usually asleep so barking is NOT a good thing... How can I discourage her from barking like this without making her scared of us again....??

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

stop paying attention to her when you first come home. Ignore her and let things settle down before you even make eye contact. The first few days she will bark, but she should get the idea quick enough. Just let hubby know to put a pillow over his head for a few days while you are trying to work things out.

Chad

Guest GreyGary91806

I have the same problem with our 2 yr old boy, barks when we get home, wake up , to wake us up, when he has to go out , when he wants to eat!!!! Hes a pain LOL. We tried the ignoring but he is so persistant I dont know what to do as well.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

In order to be successful using the ignoring technique, you must be able to outlast the barking. I have a barker, I know how much of a pain in the butt it is. You could also try commands, such as sit, lay down, or something else that may distract the hound from barking. One of my girls has this shrilly high pitched barking that took a while of ignoring to help calm down. Every now and then she breaks loose with the ear piercing bark, so I have her sit. As soon as her but hits the ground, its like a switch clicks the barking off. Maybe try that.

Sit might be a switch for barking for sure.....Kasey only barks standing up. When he does "bark" it's when we ask him to speak in a sitting position, otherwise he HAS to be standing in order to bark his hello's to us when we get home....usually right in Ryder's ear too!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest GreyGary91806

Diago's favorite times to bark are at 2am and 4am, we give in after a while cause we want to try to get as much sleep as we can... Maybe we should close the bedroom door

Guest ashphobiax

glider barks when a stranger is in the house for too long, although i just too him and my other dog (who is the worlds worst barker) out for a potty run and a westie was out there and he was barking like crazy which isnt very common for him so hopefully she will grow out of it. or with your new guy being a non barker she will learn to not bark at everything.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Diago's favorite times to bark are at 2am and 4am, we give in after a while cause we want to try to get as much sleep as we can... Maybe we should close the bedroom door

Where does your hound sleep at night? If it is not in the room with you, that may very well be the cause. If you close him out, thats going to cause even more issues.

Guest GreyGary91806

Where does your hound sleep at night? If it is not in the room with you, that may very well be the cause. If you close him out, thats going to cause even more issues.

We have tried it all... In the room, out of the room, in the bed with us, on the couch with me lol.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

We have tried it all... In the room, out of the room, in the bed with us, on the couch with me lol.

Maybe chloroform?

Guest GreyGary91806

Maybe chloroform?

No kidding!!! :sleepy:headwall

Sorry for bogarting the thread elika326 !!!