Jumping Up On People

Guest snowmo18

Guest snowmo18

We would like to know if anyone has tips on how to get our boy Raider to not jump up on people. Raider is 3 yrs old, is very unique in that he is very hyper for a greyhound. He gets easily excited, loves people, loves attention, gets along with our cats great and a huge leaner. He gets lots of exercise, but as soon as we head for the door, put our shoes on, and grab his leash the jumping fest begins..I have been able to teach him to sit and that helps a little...but I would like to cut the jumping behavior out completely.

Even when we go on walks...people of course want to stop us and pet him..and he will sit for them, but all of a sudden he will jump up as if trying to sniff their face like thats the way he checks to see who you are.

Any ideas?

Guest BrianRke

Everytime he jumps while you are getting his leash, feeding him, putting on your shoes, STOP what you are doing and remain frozen until he stops jumping, then proceed with what you were doing...repeat... You may have to do this several times for several weeks, but eventually he will learn that when he jumps he is NOT getting what he wants and when he is calm, the process can continue.

This has worked for me with several dogs. Just takes some time and patience. Good luck!

If he is jumping on people during walks, ask them to turn their back to him if he looks like he might jump.

Batman is a jumper, too, and we have been using the technique where, the minute he jumps, we turn our backs and ignore him until he calms down (this is called negative punishment - you are taking away attention to decrease a behavior). It is taking awhile but the jumping is definitely decreasing and I can see him often start to jump and then change his mind. (Edited to add: Now that i think about it he hasn't jumped on me in over a week, and he's also much calmer around guests).

Another technique I've read, if you are already doing positive reinforcement training, is to teach him a command for jumping. It changes the motivation for jumping from "the pleasure of jumping" to "the food reward," and many dogs won't jump without the new external reward. But this involves a temporary period of time when you're asking the job to jump a lot.

Edited by muddgirl

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Guest snowmo18

Great ideas, thanks guys! Raider is for sure a people pleaser and he is such a good boy. Ill work on this with him and hopefully we will have some progress to report in the next few weeks.

Just a quick note. Many people use "down" when they want their dogs to stop jumping. I use "off" because down means to lay down. Whatever word you use be sure it is used only for that behavior and avoid some confusion from your hound. :unsure

Get a halter and hold him down so that all 4 feet are on the ground and he is not able to jump up on people. I had a foster sort of like that except that when he jumped up -- all four feet went up at least two feet off the ground - hilarious to look at but, dangerous if left to continue. I trained him by walking him with a halter and pushing my hand lightly down onto the halter (and his back) to keep him down - didn't take long before he understood that the "jumping jack thing" was not appreciated.

Guest snowmo18

Get a halter and hold him down so that all 4 feet are on the ground and he is not able to jump up on people. I had a foster sort of like that except that when he jumped up -- all four feet went up at least two feet off the ground - hilarious to look at but, dangerous if left to continue. I trained him by walking him with a halter and pushing my hand lightly down onto the halter (and his back) to keep him down - didn't take long before he understood that the "jumping jack thing" was not appreciated.

Yep that sounds like our Raider :)

Yep that sounds like our Raider :)

If it sounds similar, then having him in a sitting position may not help because you will not be able to keep him from going up. The reason is that you will not be able to keep your hand on the back position, he can slide up - you would only be able to hold at the collar. If he is going up on all fours, then keep him at a stand but keep your hand at the back on the halter. Also, keep your hand there all the time on walks and if company comes to the house rather then when he is about to go up - that way you can keep it from happening altogether.

It didn't take long for my foster to learn that he shouldn't go up but, I pretty much keep his halter on all the time (except for sleeping at night) for about a week or two.

Guest dragontearz

I had that trouble with Guinness-we would say "OW!", cross our arms in front of us horizontally to block his paws, and turn around..it took a little whule, but after a little bit of time he never did it again.

Timo is also a jumper. Only on two occasions. When we first get home and let him out of is crate and when people come to visit. He get sooooooooo excited that he can't seem to help himself. I've tried all kinds of things including turning my back on him. The darn dog then jumps on my back. Lol. As soon as he calms down (30 seconds), he stops jumping and lays down. When people come over now, I put him on a leash, but he still tries to jump. I tell them to ignore him him initially, and I hold him back with a leash. Once he's calmed down, they can pet him without him jumping all over them. I have not been able to teach him to stop jumping, unfortunately.