Difference In Probiotics?

Guest driser

Our vet suggested we give our Greyhound probiotics, but wasn't insistent on what kind (he sells Fortiflora, I had Phillips colon health on hand and he said fine, then we ran out and we bought GNC Pets Probiotic). We took our Greyhound to a different vet (on a Saturday) after he had thrown up two mornings in a few days. Her physical exam of him showed nothing and he wasn't running a temp so she sold us 2 weeks of Fortiflora and told us to see how he does.

We're running out of Fortiflora now so we're wondering what the difference is between the GNC Pets probiotic and Purina's Fortiflora. Cost wise, GNC is $30/month and Fortiflora $50. GNC's contains Bacillus Coagulans and Purina's E-Faecium. Looked both up in Wiki, but I don't know enough about that sort of science to make sense of it.

Does anyone else use the GNC Pets probiotic? I know there are rave reviews for Fortiflora, but it's pricey so looking to understand why it's so much more. I question more expensive meaning better.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Guest amysgreys

I was using probiotics but I did a ton of research and switched to a food with probiotics in it. Taste of The Wild, great food.

I have a Grey with a very sensitive tummy...what kind of Taste of the Wild have you found your Grey can tolerate? Thanks!!

While I don't have suggestions for a specific brand of probiotics, I would just look for one that has high levels of a broad spectrum of organisms.

If your dog needs probiotics (or prebiotics, or digestive enzymes, or extra vitamin/mineral or herbal supplements...), I would never rely on dog food to provide those. I have never seen a commercial dog food that provided therapeutic levels of any of the above. Dog food companies include minute amounts of the above items (aside from vitamin/minerals which have to be included at minimum daily requirements if they are going to claim to meet AAFCO standards) as marketing gimmicks, nothing more.

I'm not saying that dog foods that include probiotics or the rest aren't decent dog foods (at least they are trying, and often have better overall ingredient ratios than other foods), just that those ingredients aren't doing anything special for dogs that don't really need them, and aren't enough for dogs that really do.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest mcsheltie

While I don't have suggestions for a specific brand of probiotics, I would just look for one that has high levels of a broad spectrum of organisms.

If your dog needs probiotics (or prebiotics, or digestive enzymes, or extra vitamin/mineral or herbal supplements...), I would never rely on dog food to provide those. I have never seen a commercial dog food that provided therapeutic levels of any of the above. Dog food companies include minute amounts of the above items (aside from vitamin/minerals which have to be included at minimum daily requirements if they are going to claim to meet AAFCO standards) as marketing gimmicks, nothing more.

I'm not saying that dog foods that include probiotics or the rest aren't decent dog foods (at least they are trying, and often have better overall ingredient ratios than other foods), just that those ingredients aren't doing anything special for dogs that don't really need them, and aren't enough for dogs that really do.

Amen to that! I get probiotics from the health food store or online. Look for a product that guarantees 10 billion thru the expiration date.