Collars In The House

Guest FrankieWylie

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that Magic was only leashed when you were home. I actually tethered Loca to my waist for 1.5 months whenever I was home. The martingale came off whenever I left the house. She was muzzled when I wasn't home.I use a breakaway tag collar on my dog. That way, it will come apart if necessary.

Krissy, if you don't think anything bad can happen with a martingale when the person is home, ask Lisa. Max had an awful experience.

Oh, I'm not saying bad things can't happen. I'm just saying if you're standing right there personally, I'm willing to take that risk. Nothing is without risk. Taking our dogs to greyhound only runs is a risk. Two dogs can run right into each other and kill or paralyze one another. But we don't advocate for not running greyhounds once they retire. I'm just saying it's all about calculated risk. If I was training a new dog not to go after the cat I wouldn't worry about the martingale being on inside the house. To me the risk of the dog getting the cat is bigger than the dog getting caught on something in the house and hurting himself when I'm standing 2 feet away.

My main point was that I didn't think it was a totally stupid question and I felt like some of the responses sort of had a tone of "how could that not be obvious". But like I said... I was born and raised Canadian. When I play hockey I apologize to the girl who I just knocked flat on her backside. I also apologize to the girl who just knocked ME on MY backside. When I was at OSU this summer... MAJOR culture shock.... I'm just not used to the way non-Canadians speak sometimes. :dunno Remember... hockey is about as angry as we usually get. lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I thought all the responses were straightforward, no use of "stupid" or anything of that nature.

Leaving a martingale on an unattended dog (which this dog fortunately is not, we've learned) is a dangerous practice.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Wasserbuffel

In the picture below Jayne is wearing both her martingale (red) and her tag collar (brown). Jayne's tag collar is a regular buckle collar with a tag pouch attached. The pouch is leather and has a ring sewn inside. It holds her ID, microchip, city, adoption group, and rabies tags. It also has a little card inside that has her vet information on it.

In the picture below Jayne is wearing both her martingale (red) and her tag collar (brown). Jayne's tag collar is a regular buckle collar with a tag pouch attached. The pouch is leather and has a ring sewn inside. It holds her ID, microchip, city, adoption group, and rabies tags. It also has a little card inside that has her vet information on it.

tagcollar.jpg

Edited to add: the reason she's wearing her martingale indoors in this picture is that we were at a friend's house. The leash was attached and I was holding it the whole time.

Edited by Jayne

Guest jbbuzby

As for tags the pup needs when going out, at least in my area/county, the rabies tag is not nearly as important as what most people think it is; it's the rabies certificate that matters most. As long as your dog is up to date with vaccines and you have an updated certificate, Magic is set to go. It's mostly just another form of identification that is free, as people call my work all the time saying they found a dog with a rabies tag that had our number on it, making it so we could look up the individual pet and locate its contact info. If your pup (heaven forbid) ever ended up at the shelter and they were able to call you based off of the collar itself, you would not be in trouble for not having the rabies tag...you'd just need to bring a copy of the current certificate with you to not be fined :).

As I said though, not sure what the policy is in GA, but that's what it is up here in MD.